Bricked N9 Not Connecting to ADB

Elliot Klein

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I accidentally bricked my Nexus 9 recently. It won't boot up, and I'm getting the red "your device is corrupt" message. Normally, you would connect the device to your computer via USB and use the Android Debug Bridge to unlock the bootloader, and flash a new system image. However, the tablet doesn't show up when I connect it to my laptop and run ./adb devices. Anybody know why this could be happening? More specifics:

* I walked around outside with it, and it rained lightly a bit. It had a case and screen protector on it, so I didn't worry. Later, I noticed that the speakers were acting funny, but rebooting seemed to fix that. Later, USB Debugging with Android Studio wasn't working, and it wasn't showing that it had been unplugged when it had been. Then, I tried to install 6.0.1 OTA, and that failed, bricking the device, and I got the "your device is corrupt message."

* I cracked open the back cover to peek inside for moisture, but I didn't see any. (I didn't take the cover all the way off though, didn't wanna have to reattach the camera.

* I have tried factory reset from the bootloader a few times -- I don't think I gave it enough time the first time, the second time it ran out of battery, and the third time I let it run overnight while it was plugged in. When I checked it in the morning, it had powered down, and nothing seemed to have changed.

* I have the latest version of ADB and platform-tools, and I've got some experience with the SDK. I also tried using different USB cables to connect, no luck there.

* I can't access the OS at all, just the bootloader and recovery mode.

* The tablet is a black 32GB Nexus 9, formerly running stock 6.0.0. The laptop I'm using is Linux Mint 17.2.

* The bootloader is locked, I never had any reason to unlock it. I didn't enable OEM Unlocking in the Developer Options in the OS either, but that shouldn't prevent it from connecting to the ADB.

* I got into recovery mode, and wiped the cache partition, but that didn't seem to do anything.

Does anybody have any ideas about how I could get my tablet to connect to the ADB? Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone evidently got wet inside. If the USB port is dead, that has to be replaced first. But it might be wasted money.