Desire ROM

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Was wondering if anyone else here had tried out the Desire ROM on their N1?

I gave in and tried it out to see what Sense was like, and was generally impressed. First of all, the fact that the modders could take a ROM for a device and 'fix' it to work on another is damn impressive. The polish of the ROM is pretty amazing, even though its still labeled as Alpha.

That being said though, I had some curiosities. My cellular radio would turn off at random times, certain applications just wouldn't work, and the phone would occasionally freak out on me. There was also this weird error where if I tried to take a picture from within the messaging app it wouldn't let me access any of my contacts.

Overall, I'm impressed. Really, I'd label it as a beta not an alpha. Its almost there, there are just a few things that need to be tweaked for it to be ready for primetime. I love sense, especially some of its contact integration features. (manual linking and unlinking should really be a part of standard android)

Anyone else try it out?

ekoulak

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
I agree with you I love the Rom but not enough for every day use just yet. Once it reaches its beta or above stage it would definitely be my daily driver.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Maybe I need to give it another shot. It was a bit slow for me.

I did like the rom however. This actually makes me desire the Desire more.

I will probably install it tonight and see what's up.

ekoulak

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Hey duvi great to see you again.
yeah it is a bit slow but its only nano seconds
I notice that any device running sense even stock is a bit sluggish in comparison to vanilla Android.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
I've used all the desire roms and found that for my device king klicks is the most stable and just as good for everyday use provided you dont use bluetooth.some nexus seem to be more sensitive than others and there are some work around for those issue s. A19 worked better for me than a20 or a21 as far as modaco. King klick v.04 is the last one I have tried from him and it is fast fast. Just as fast as cyan if not faster. Good roms. I need bluetoothso I switched back.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Hey duvi great to see you again.
yeah it is a bit slow but its only nano seconds
I notice that any device running sense even stock is a bit sluggish in comparison to vanilla Android.

I've used all the desire roms and found that for my device king klicks is the most stable and just as good for everyday use provided you dont use bluetooth.some nexus seem to be more sensitive than others and there are some work around for those issue s. A19 worked better for me than a20 or a21 as far as modaco. King klick v.04 is the last one I have tried from him and it is fast fast. Just as fast as cyan if not faster. Good roms. I need bluetoothso I switched back.
I definitely don't need bluetooth. I've only used one version of MaDaco's and didn't even know there were others really. I'd definitely give it a shot.

Thanks guys.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
OK, First i don't have access to the kitchen because everything that can be implemented in the kitchen can be done by the user if you have the know how and take the time to learn what you are actually doing. Paul works very hard to provide us with custom ROMs and should you choose the easy method of cooking a ROM you SHOULD pay for a subscription. Not ask someone to cook you one as this defeats the purpose of it. I am more than willing to help in the learning method as Paul provides the base for us all for free. If you want extras you have two options, take the easy way a pay for a subscription and cook a ROM or learn how to search and find the info you need and learn the process yourself. By no means am I knocking the cooking method as some just don't have the time or just don't want to get that far in depth with it. It's all fine as this supports Paul and allows him to continue to produce awesome ROMs for all of us to use. I'm not kicking any one but if you want a custom version of Sense from Modaco pay the minimal 30 dollar fee. I would/will never cook a ROM for someone, I will how ever be more than happy to assist you in learning how to do it for free if you want to take the time and put in the effort. You will learn a lot and open doors that you never knew where there. Please don't take this the wrong way as I just disagree with cooking ROMs for someone else.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i used it for 2 days straight, I was very impressed but i had some of the same issues as you. I would randomly lose connection, or, at times i would show full reception yet texts would not send, browsing would not work and i would have to reboot the phone. I fully intend on using this ROM when its out of alpha and the bugs have been polished off. It really is amazing, and I think HTC should have shipped the N1 with Sense

As of right now though im using the latest Cyanogen and thats pretty neat as well.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
Think God they didn't other wise we would have to wait on them for updates and not Google. This is Googles phone not HTCs, If you can deal with the minor and very minor quirks of the ports then this is a great ROM. There is more than one variation to the Sense ROMs. Alot of things that you the user are going to have to sort out because not everyone experiences the same problems. Such as Radio, MMS, so on and so on.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they should have shipped it with Sense, but I would KILL to have an official HTC version of it. It would be an AMAZING move on HTC's part to make an official HTC package for the N1 that includes Sense. Just giving the user the option would be amazing.

mdunn1066

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Well i agree waiting on updates would mean a bad thing but if it could have been shipped with sense and google updates... then it would have been a great thing. Stock android is nothing to complain about though and im perfectly happy using it, but Sense is wicked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36