Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default [How-To] "Root" your Nexus One

Your Nexus One is a developer model, and doesn;t need to be rooted. Instead we can unlock the bootloader and flash any firmware we want on the phone. Methods that try to circumvent this in order to cheat HTC (because YOU voided your warranty) aren't going to be discussed, because those that use them make it harder to justify unlocked phones, and in turn make things harder on those of us who enjoy them. Post any of them, or any discussion of them in this thread, and I'll delete them

You'll need the Android SDK installed. Follow Google's directions, and sing out if you need any help.

You'll also need Fastboot. Get it for your platform from HTC right here. Place the fastboot application in your SDK/platform-tools folder.

If you use Windows or a Mac, download and install PDAnet to your PC right here. This makes sure you have a USB driver that works in fastboot, and is the easiest way to do it.

Enable USB debugging on your phone (menu>settings>applications>development).

Next, power off your phone and hook it up to your computer. Hold the trackball, and press power to boot into fastboot mode.

Once your phone powers up, open a command prompt and navigate to your SDK/platform-tools folder. At the prompt type
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Choose YES to unlock your phone and void your warranty, and you're done. At this point you can install a custom recovery and/or a custom ROM with root enabled.

Enjoy Android the way it was intended -- free of hardware locks, Vcast, bing, and any of the other things that only make it worse
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1.1

is my phone rooted at this point or just unlock..what do i do next...how can install gingerbread or?
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1.1

will this wipe your phone? do you back up before unlocking? if so how? sorry new to rooting

Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBean 4.1.1

all good...thx

Default rooting

Well i'm new to rooting ..i am using google nexus one..and its 2.3.3 gingerbread ..so is there any benefit in rooting my phone.?? will my phone's performnace enhances further by rooting...? do help me

Do reply me in my e-mail ' saayi143@gmail.com'

followed the instructions to the letter. after "fastboot oem unlock" it just hangs saying "waiting for device"

any suggestions?
    Now that I have my N1 whenever my wife says "Are you sure?" I go online and show her.

The QR code of my Avatar is for a link to bone marrow donor registration. The more donors that are registered, the better a match for those receiving the transplant. It can not ONLY make the difference between life and death from excruciatingly agonizing graft vs host disease, but it can make an enormous difference in over all health care costs.

Yay thank you!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,735 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: [How-To] "Root" your Nexus One

why i do not look anything? sorry my english is not good

i followed steps and it worked. i think what procedure does is to unlock phone. thank you so very much!
    more needs to be done to root it. my understanding of your intro means there is no need to root nexus and that unlocking it is enough to load more ROMs. nexus one is a great phoone! i will to load lastest version of gb now! thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Your Nexus One is a developer model, and doesn;t need to be rooted. Instead we can unlock the bootloader and flash any firmware we want on the phone. Methods that try to circumvent this in order to cheat HTC (because YOU voided your warranty) aren't going to be discussed, because those that use them make it harder to justify unlocked phones, and in turn make things harder on those of us who enjoy them. Post any of them, or any discussion of them in this thread, and I'll delete them

You'll need the Android SDK installed. Follow Google's directions, and sing out if you need any help.

You'll also need Fastboot. Get it for your platform from HTC right here. Place the fastboot application in your SDK/platform-tools folder.

If you use Windows or a Mac, download and install PDAnet to your PC right here. This makes sure you have a USB driver that works in fastboot, and is the easiest way to do it.

Enable USB debugging on your phone (menu>settings>applications>development).

Next, power off your phone and hook it up to your computer. Hold the trackball, and press power to boot into fastboot mode.

Once your phone powers up, open a command prompt and navigate to your SDK/platform-tools folder. At the prompt type
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    Choose YES to unlock your phone and void your warranty, and you're done. At this point you can install a custom recovery and/or a custom ROM with root enabled.

Enjoy Android the way it was intended -- free of hardware locks, Vcast, bing, and any of the other things that only make it worse