[How-To] Wifi calling on CM7 (T-Mobile only)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Prerequisites: Nexus One running CM7, with an unlocked bootloader, a custom recovery, fastboot, and a T-Mobile account.

Flash a CM7 nightly (tested on build #34 and #35). Set your phone up how you like it, and make a Nandroid backup through recovery.

*NOTE HERE* Apparently not everyone (see below from uansari1 and ju12zo) will have to use the new radio. If you're in any way uncomfortable flashing the radio, or like the radio you're using, read it all and try without flashing a new one. My N1 hates me and made me change :) Thanks gentlemen!

Once you're backed up, you will need to check your radio version. Go to settings> about phone> Baseband version. If the baseband does not end in _5.08.00.04 or _5.12.00.08, you will need to flash a new radio.

Warning -- flashing the radio is one of the few ways you can actually brick your phone. Not have bootloops or other issues, but we're talking a true brick. Follow along very carefully if you choose to continue.

Download the 5.12.00.08 radio image here
The MD5 sum is: 263fb298d747f9e5632b373c69ce7893

Open the zip file you downloaded, and check the MD5 sum. If the download is corrupt, you will brick your phone. HERE is a very easy to use MD5sumtool for Windows if you need one. Simply pull the md5sums.exe program out of the zip file, drag the radio.img file over it, and compare the MD5 sum the program gives you to the one above. Please, do not skip this step.

Once you're sure the download is good, place the radio.img file in your SDK/tools folder. Make sure you have fastboot installed in SDK/tools as well. You can get fastboot from HTC right here if you need it.

Power off your Nexus One. Hold the volume down key, and press power to boot to enter bootloader mode. Once you see the three Android skateboarders, use the volume key to navigate to Fastboot, then press the power button. Your N1 is now in Fastboot mode.

Plug the Nexus One into a full speed USB port on your computer. Open the command prompt, and navigate to the SDK/tools folder, and enter the following command:
Code:
fastboot flash radio radio.img
DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING UNTIL IT IS FINISHED. It may take upwards of 60 seconds to flash the radio. If you're not familiar with fastboot, or flashing images with fastboot, ask questions before you attempt this.

Reboot your phone as normal. It may take a few extra seconds to boot up and connect to T-Mobile. Make a call, test the radio. Once you're sure all is well, continue.

Download the WiFi calling package from Unforgiven512 right here. Don't forget to donate for his hard work if you're so inclined. The next step is easy, just flash it from recovery.

To Use:
While connected to WiFi, just run the app in your app drawer. If you leave the app running, it will auto start any time you're connected to Wifi.

Remember, that calls made over WiFi still count against your minutes. The benefit here is a strong voice singal, very clear call quality, and great battery life. Ask someone with a MT4G, WiFi calling is very nice for use while you're at home.

Credit to Unforgiven512 for the method, and the files!

Last edited:

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
FYI, the updated radio IS NOT required. I'm still running the stock radio and HBOOT... I've been successfully running Wifi calling for weeks on CM7.

I'm going overseas for about a month in March... looking forward to making calls over wifi and only deduct from my plan's minutes. ;)

svitale

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Are there still issues with the proximity sensor? I was reading a thread that the proximity sensor will temporarily stop the audio once the phone is near your ear.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
FYI, the updated radio IS NOT required. I'm still running the stock radio and HBOOT... I've been successfully running Wifi calling for weeks on CM7.

I'm going overseas for about a month in March... looking forward to making calls over wifi and only deduct from my plan's minutes. ;)

I couldn't get Wifi calling to connect until I updated to the Korean radio (5.12.00.08). I wish I was as lucky as you are, because i get a better data signal on an older radio :p

I have a unlocked cm7 Nexus One on AT&T is this possible my carrier or do i have to be on T-Mobile?

T-Mobile only on this one. AT&T doesn't have their network and equipment set-up to allow for calls over wifi.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Are there still issues with the proximity sensor? I was reading a thread that the proximity sensor will temporarily stop the audio once the phone is near your ear.

Not seeing anything like that here. It actually works really well, especially since it wasn't designed for the N1

ju12zo

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
This is great! It was the only reason I would switch to my Vibrant while at home.
I have never updated my radio, so I am still on 4.06 and wifi calling still works great. No issues with proximity sensor either.
Call volume is low on both ends as stated in OP from Unforgiven
KNOWN ISSUES
Low volume on the other person’s end (i.e. they have a hard time hearing you) — same issue as CM6, which is out of my control, so please don’t report this.
But its not terrible, and if its too low then just switch back. Great post!

uansari1

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't get Wifi calling to connect until I updated to the Korean radio (5.12.00.08). I wish I was as lucky as you are, because i get a better data signal on an older radio :p

Interesting... so then perhaps people should try it with the stock radio first, and only if that doesn't work they should flash the new one. ;)

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting... so then perhaps people should try it with the stock radio first, and only if that doesn't work they should flash the new one. ;)

That we can do. After my troubles, and seeing unforgiven512 saying you had to have a new radio, I assumed it was a requirement. Editing now :)

gomezl7

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
when i try to flash from recovery and install zip...says installation aborted...its on the root of sd card...is the file bad

rockymelboa

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Stock radio not working for me

I"m getting error w006.15 isp or tmobile network error....could be my ****ty belkin router or my old radio 4.06.00.12_7. Going to flash the newest radio and see what happens....wish me luck

rockymelboa

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I"m getting error w006.15 isp or tmobile network error....could be my ****ty belkin router or my old radio 4.06.00.12_7. Going to flash the newest radio and see what happens....wish me luck

haha, sooo I flashed the radio...went fine. Started up Wifi Calling again and it gave me the W006.25 ISP or Tmobile network error and then asked me to register....must be the ****ty router. Will update when I try on another network

BUT, before I flashed the new radio and was trying to turn wifi calling on... it would restart my phone. Now there is none of that, but still no calling :(

strungoutfan78

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
wrong checksum

OK so every link to this radio yields a zip file with a different checksum than the one originally posted. Reason?

original: 263fb298d747f9e5632b373c69ce7893
mine : 20ed128e98821a700306c734fa3de0e8

**UPDATE**
The checksum I listed as 'mine' above matches the checksum listed at xda-developers found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=744605

I flashed it no problem. Maybe wanna update that original post so as not to startle anyone.

Last edited:

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
OK so every link to this radio yields a zip file with a different checksum than the one originally posted. Reason?

original: 263fb298d747f9e5632b373c69ce7893
mine : 20ed128e98821a700306c734fa3de0e8

**UPDATE**
The checksum I listed as 'mine' above matches the checksum listed at xda-developers found here: [ROMs] - [Kernels] - [Radios] - Etc (New! W/Links) - xda-developers

I flashed it no problem. Maybe wanna update that original post so as not to startle anyone.

I give the checksum for the radio.img, not the zip :)

kingnothing1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi, when trying to fastboot the radio on my nexus one, the command prompt gives me the following error: FAILED (remote: signature verify fail), and it won't update the radio. How can I fix this issue?

matkyne

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
All installed well, and I already had a working radio installed. But when I go to use Wi-For calling it just hangs at the screen "Establishing connectionto T-Mobile's Network". The phone does not freeze up or anything, it just never connects. Any ideas?