Stuck on "Waiting for Device" trying to unlock bootloader

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
I am coming over from the blackberry world (where I did a lot of playing around with my blackberries software).

I am however quite new to this whole platform and am obviously not doing something right while trying to root my Nexus One.

I have the necessary file downloaded and unzipped and have the command prompt open. When I try to run the command "fastboot.exe oem unlock"
I get a "waiting for device" message....

What am I missing?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Your device is connected to your PC and in fastboot USB mode correct? Also you should be typing fastboot-windows oem unlock

I use Macs only but I'll keep trying to help you the best I can.

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, mate!

I am connected to pc and in fastboot USB mode. I mistyped above. I have been entering "fastboot-windows oem unlock"

Always get the "waiting for device" message.

I really want to load the HTC Desire ROM. So tired of my calendar not syncing (and really don't like touchdown)

Thanks for the help

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Ah, make sure you have the proper drivers on your computer... download the Android SDK and make sure you can see your device with that.

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
It's been saying that for about two minutes this time. I see nothing happening via my command prompt and nothing happening on the phone.

Could this be a USB driver issue? I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and it auto installs the drivers it deems necessary.

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Where do I see that Android SDK sees the device? I opened the manager and have downloaded the 2.1 SDK and documentation and USB drivers...

Thanks again for your help!

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Check out this thread here. Many people stuck with "waiting for device". I'm at work and will be leaving shortly so I will be away from the computer for a while. Please update this thread with what you find so I can update the ROM guide in this forum to help other Windows people.

Thanks.

Feb 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, yeah.

Windows 7 users, if you right click on "Computer" and select "Manage"

Once the computer management window opens click on "Device Manager"

In the list on the right window you will see your Android Device (assuming your Nexus One is plugged in). Select it and then select "update driver"

Browse for the driver you downloaded with the android sdk.

Once you've updated the driver unplug your phone from the computer and then plug it in to another usb outlet.

You should then be able to get through the whole process.

garfnodie

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Fastboot problems on Windows 7 64bit

I'm having a problem getting my N1 to be seen by fastboot-windows to start the rooting process. As I mentioned in the title, I'm running a Windows 7 Pro (clean install couple of weeks ago), Core2Duo mobile(T8100) with 4gb of Ram. Installed Android SDK, got all drivers installed.

When I boot phone into fastboot, windows see's the phone and shows up in device manager as "Android Bootloader Interface" and it shows up in Safely Remove utility at "Android 1.0"

I then run "fastboot-windows devices" or "fastboot-windows oem unlock" and they do not see the phone.

The drivers referenced by device manager are:
winusb.sys (can't move or replace, windows won't allow it)
wdfcoinstaller01007.dll
winusbcoinstaller.dll

Did some searching and came across some stuff about issues with the winusb.sys file and was wondering if this could be my problem and if anyone knows how to go about fixing this?

The phone shows up in windows just fine as a usb drive while in normal operating mode, in case that helps at all.

garfnodie

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I tried using a Vista 32bit machine, fresh clean install of the drivers, then plugged it into a different usb plug and it still can't see the phone. It still shows up in device manager as android bootloader interface, but fastboot-windows will not see it.:confused::mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674