Codename: Molly

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google diving in to set top box. They originally had Nexus Q which was gorgeous device but the execution in functionality left much desired. Unfortunately the price did not help Nexus Q grow in popularity either. Then came chromecast which the completely opposite spectrum of the Nexus Q. However the similar function both device could before the Chromecast did it better and at a fraction of the cost.

Will project "Molly" give users a more robust amount streaming content that is not in Chromecast. Will it compete with Fire TV, Roku 3 and Apple TV? We will have to wait and see.

I am just hopping Google unveils a streaming subscription service like Netflix or Hulu of their own to go with their set top box. I would buy a Google version of a Fire TV but I just want more from Google.

If Google's "Molly" set top box could give access to the play store,chrome browse, and the functionality of Google Now is nice. I am just dive more into your android phones connecting with set top box and being able to stream content but also see and respond notification coming from you phone. This would really differentiate Google's set top box from the crowd.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Hiberny

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
If it's more or less comparable to FireTV in terms of games and has the ability to cast then I'll be all over it. I done dropping $50+ on games. I just want some casual gaming, Netflix, Viki, and Play Music on the same box.

Posted via Android Central App

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
All this world cup coverage is making me antsy for an upgrade to my Logitech Revue. I am holding out to see what the next generation of Android TV brings in terms of set-top boxes, but it is difficult to be patient. I hope they have a nice remote that will operate my TV and Tivo, as well as pass through video so I don't have to switch inputs. That's my only gripe with chromecast.

ddiehl

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
May be a dumb question, but will Google be releasing their own box, or just providing the platform and leaving it up to OEM's to release the hardware?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
May be a dumb question, but will Google be releasing their own box, or just providing the platform and leaving it up to OEM's to release the hardware?

Google expanding beyond Nexus or Google Edition devices (Chromecast, GPE) and leaving the OEM partners to produce Android TV products. Google banned Android TV from being skinned by OEM's to allow Google to keep Android TV in their vision. There no need for Google to make Android TV devices as far as software goes. They may make a device if the OEM partners are not having success with Android TV or not marketing Android TV how Google would like.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21