Is this a Good Android TV

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Be aware that this is not an actual Android TV device (i.e., the upcoming service from Google that replaces the old GoogleTV). See more info here: Android TV

In regard to what you posted, that's what might be called an "Android TV stick," essentially an Android device that pumps its video output to the TV via HDMI. It may have some limited apps like Netflix or Hulu, as well as a browser, but app selection will likely be very limited, since they usually don't have access to Google Play. Documentation and support are also going to be minimal to nonexistent. I would stay away if I were you.

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B.Diddy

So in your opinion if i want something more robust with more support and apps, which Android tv box will you recommend?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks B.Diddy

So in your opinion if i want something more robust with more support and apps, which Android tv box will you recommend?

Here is a good counter question: What are you planning to do with it? Perhaps a Chromecast might be more suitable?

rmadrid20

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I do have one chromecast stick in my house and i have one roku but i wanted to try an android tv, i will soon buy an android car stereo so why not an android tv, either stick or a box, I know that with chromecast I can stream movies from my laptop works great for my, but i want something more robust, check emails, download apps, browse the web, stream movies from my pc, etc etc, so thats why I asked to you guys which is the best

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I have no suggestions, because I think all of those Android sticks have a good chance of being unreliable. You may want to consider a Chromebox, but Chrome OS doesn't support many Android apps yet.

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
All of those Android TV box and stick are basically running stock based Android in tablet landscape mode. The problem is they don't have casting features, so unless you install something like Allcast Receiver, you can't cast stuff to them. Also they generally won't receive software update, so whatever Android version you bought it with is generally what you'll live with.

The Nexus Player is going to be much better imo. But right now I'm sticking with my Roku 3, since it have some unique features of it's own. I might get a refurb Nexus Player in the future.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Hmmmmm now I compare this nexus tv box with the Android tv boxes I see on ebay and I think the eBay ones look even better

I'm not sure how you can look at those cheap, knock off, no name Android systems and think they are better than the real, actual Android TV unit. As previously stated, app selection is slim to none, you won't get any hardware or software support, no Google Play access, no software updates, nothing really. It's a bare bones Android experience that comes as-is with no room for improvement.

The Nexus Player, part of the real Android TV ecosystem (and currently the ONLY real Android TV device on the market), has the backing of Google along with official apps from more content providers. Pair that with it's casting abilities and it can pretty much handle anything along with receiving future software updates, more apps from content providers, and it looks like you'll be able to run pretty much any app from Google Play. All of that and the added benefit of the beefier internal hardware in the Nexus Player. I just don't really see how a cheap, no name Android TV without anything like that could compete.

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have owned several of these and have pre-ordered the nexus player. Spec wise the ebay boxes are better, the issue comes down to build quality and firmware, and thats why I am going with the nexus player. With the ebay boxes you are stuck at whatever os level you get and unless you like tinkering with roms (if any are even available) you are stuck with its interface.

Depending on how you intend on using, the ebay boxes can do a decent job. I use it primarily for XBMC and some android apps. Again my experience is the burn up in a year if you are lucky. The build quality is getting better, but its really luck of the draw when buying on ebay. You could be getting a first gen, poorly soldered device, or maybe you luck out.

After messing with the MK series of sticks, I am going for quality. The reason I pre-ordered the nexus is my ebay box crapped out.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
This is 100% better because it's made and supported by Google. That being said it should be updated as new Android OS updates become available. Those other boxes you see are NOT Google supported.

Netforza

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Don't buy the one with RK3188 soc. They have problems streaming and sometimes playing full HD videos.
The GPU inside is Mali400 which is pretty old already.
If you want a cheap Chines mini PC on Android take one with RK3288 inside.

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are going down this road, I'd look at the Beelink R89, also branded under Ubox. The devs at Freaktab at least are developing ROMs for this one. But the price is in the same price point as Nexus Player, although it has more ports. These were just released over the last month or two, but the specs are impressive RK3288 with the latest Mali T764 GPU.

Remember you will be locked in at Android 4.X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781