It's a device for single people

Doug Meredith

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I received my Nexus Player yesterday, and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but would probably still be useful for people who don't share a TV with others. The lack of multi-profile support renders it basically useless for my family. If I sign into it with my Google account, then the kids will be polluting my Youtube (for example) history, so that's not an option. My current thinking is that I'll create a new account, specifically for our Android TV devices. The problem with this is that you lose all the benefits of having your activities follow you from phone to TV and back. I'm going to replace the Chromecast in the family room with this box, and the wife and kids can use it if they care to, but I guess I'll just continue to use Google Cast.

P_Devil

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
I don't think these set-top-box devices really take into account multiple users. That's a niche market at this point as most people (even with families) set them up once and that's it. They don't worry about having multiple accounts for their kids and other apps, such as Netflix, already take kids into account by offering a kid mode. My Apple TV never took into account different Apple IDs, it was always a pain to switch them out. My fiance's Roku doesn't take into account multiple Roku accounts either.

I think it's a niche market that may never be properly filled at this point, not without hooking up an HTPC and using multiple OS accounts.