My "quick take" review

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Here is the tl;dr version of an already short review: Intriguing potential, great for Google services, serviceable for the major content providers, pleasant UI. Bottom-line: slightly better than the Roku overall, especially if you use Google Play content, but if you use Amazon or HBO Go, a Roku or FireTV may still be the better choice.

As a Google fan, I was biased in favor of this device from the get-go and it mostly lived up to my expectations. A smooth, generally attractive UI, effective voice searching (with limitations) and with the content services I actually use, it does the job in a comfortable, appealing manner. I still prefer using Chromecast, but this IS a GoogleCast device so it can replace my dongle. Playback was fast and smooth on all services. The remote is a bit lightweight, but works well.

But there are a few niggles. No deal-breakers just minor annoyances I hope they adjust along the way. I do like the UI much better than that of the Roku, which I find visually unappealing, but it is not perfect. I wish the apps were the first row entry point rather than the suggestions, and the sizing of various objects could be improved. The use of large “hero” screens with smaller items to scroll through is putting visual appeal ahead of utility. Also, when the target item is expanded, the rest of the content is a bit too dim. Again, niggles.

Search works great for what it does. From the main screen it will search generally and link you to You Tube and Google Play content, but not your own uploaded content in Google Play and not content from other services. But the search results are useful and allow for further investigation. Within a given app, the search also works perfectly, so I can search my Plex content within Plex with ease. It would be great to search ALL content from the main screen.

The suggestion row, which is front and center (too much so for my taste) is dynamic, filling with the content type you have most recently been viewing, and includes content from all services, such as my Plex movies, as well as Google Play, You Tube and Hulu. And the media you have been viewing most recently is always in the prime spot, which is convenient.

Content choices are sufficient to get started with, and will satisfy the needs of 90% of the users. But, if you happen to use one of the services not yet available, notably Amazon Instant and HBO Go, then you are better off sticking with the Roku. The things I like better about the Nexus Player and Android TV are not sufficient to offset the lack of those services if you use them regularly.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and, with the content proviso above, I would recommend it. Especially if you don’t yet have a Chromecast since for an additional $65 you can get a Chromecast AND these additional on-screen UI and voice search features in one device.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Here is the tl;dr version of an already short review: Intriguing potential, great for Google services, serviceable for the major content providers, pleasant UI. Bottom-line: slightly better than the Roku overall, especially if you use Google Play content, but if you use Amazon or HBO Go, a Roku or FireTV may still be the better choice.

As a Google fan, I was biased in favor of this device from the get-go and it mostly lived up to my expectations. A smooth, generally attractive UI, effective voice searching (with limitations) and with the content services I actually use, it does the job in a comfortable, appealing manner. I still prefer using Chromecast, but this IS a GoogleCast device so it can replace my dongle. Playback was fast and smooth on all services. The remote is a bit lightweight, but works well.

But there are a few niggles. No deal-breakers just minor annoyances I hope they adjust along the way. I do like the UI much better than that of the Roku, which I find visually unappealing, but it is not perfect. I wish the apps were the first row entry point rather than the suggestions, and the sizing of various objects could be improved. The use of large “hero” screens with smaller items to scroll through is putting visual appeal ahead of utility. Also, when the target item is expanded, the rest of the content is a bit too dim. Again, niggles.

Search works great for what it does. From the main screen it will search generally and link you to You Tube and Google Play content, but not your own uploaded content in Google Play and not content from other services. But the search results are useful and allow for further investigation. Within a given app, the search also works perfectly, so I can search my Plex content within Plex with ease. It would be great to search ALL content from the main screen.

The suggestion row, which is front and center (too much so for my taste) is dynamic, filling with the content type you have most recently been viewing, and includes content from all services, such as my Plex movies, as well as Google Play, You Tube and Hulu. And the media you have been viewing most recently is always in the prime spot, which is convenient.

Content choices are sufficient to get started with, and will satisfy the needs of 90% of the users. But, if you happen to use one of the services not yet available, notably Amazon Instant and HBO Go, then you are better off sticking with the Roku. The things I like better about the Nexus Player and Android TV are not sufficient to offset the lack of those services if you use them regularly.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase and, with the content proviso above, I would recommend it. Especially if you don’t yet have a Chromecast since for an additional $65 you can get a Chromecast AND these additional on-screen UI and voice search features in one device.

I really appreciate your take on the Nexus Player. Thanks!

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you tell me if the Player will output Dolby digital Plus? Specifically on Netflix? Thanks

I don't have surround, so I don't usually pay attention to the sound output. Would there likely be someplace in settings which would indicate that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech