Do I have to repurchase games?

Daneshpastry

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
For the few games that are currently available on both the android platform and the nexus TV, will I have to repurchase those I already own on my.phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
For a different device? Yes, unless the developer gives you permission to download a second copy for free.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
For the few games that are currently available on both the android platform and the nexus TV, will I have to repurchase those I already own on my.phone?

Because the games are on a different platform (Nexus Player TV) you will. The code in the app for the Nexus Player and the app for your phone are different. Therefore the Google Play Store will recognize the apps as different from each other.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
I purchased Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders on my Nexus Player and the Play Store just let me install it on my Nexus 6 at no additional charge. I know the OP asked about paid apps on their phone to player, but if it let me go from player to phone, I don't see why it wouldn't work from phone to player.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's up to the copyright owner, not the technical specs. Even buying a single machine license for a program for Windows and running it on 2 computers at the same time is a violation of copyright, unless you have the copyright owner's written permission.

Robbing a bank "works" too. It's legal matter.

AndroidIsMyThing

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to play games you have already bought on different devices. The apps are just optimized for android tv, they aren't completely different apps.

For example, I can buy a game on my nexus 7 and download it on my moto x for free.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Depends on how much the developer wants to nickel and dime you.

Leo's Fortune was only purchased once and I've installed it on my phones, tablet, and Nexus player.

Then there are games like God of Light have a HD version for tablets and phone that you purchased then they charge again for the TV version.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Google play wanted me to repurchase games, but I got to install Goat simulator and Riptide 2 through the google games app without repurchasing them.

Glad you specifically mentioned Goat Simulator...I'm really looking forward to playing that on the big screen instead of my Nexus 5 :-D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac