Save Shows for Offline Use?

NDub21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
This may sound a little odd but I wanted to know if the Nexus Player (or Android TV in general) allows for movies and shows from Play Movies to be saved for offline viewing. I ask because my daughter watches many of the same movies and TV shows which I have bought from Google Play so instead of streaming them every time they could just be played back from storage (AT&T has a data cap every month). I realize with the small 8gb of internal storage I couldn't save many and from the sound of other comments it doesn't sounds like I could save any to external storage, but it could be useful all the same. Hopefully other Android TV devices will come with more storage.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would expect that you can save for offline usage.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have enabled the USB, which allows you to plug in a usb hub. I have a usb memopry stick and external hard disk attached and they work fine. I am not sure about downloading goggle play content as I don't do that, but you could probably download and use ES File Explorer to move it to external storage for later play.

NDub21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Turns out the answer was on the Google Play support page: "Movies and TV shows purchased on Google Play cannot be downloaded to Android TVs or most computers, but you can watch videos offline using a Chromebook."
[https]://support.google[dot]com/googleplay/answer/2851696?hl=en

The problem with Plex is that I don't have the DRM free copies of the shows that I can store on a hard drive, I bought them through Google Play and have no way to download them or remove the DRM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair