Nexus player vs Fire TV, 3 months later (opinions please)

David Erato

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
I've been a devoted Apple fan for years. I've had all 3 versions of the Apple TV. But if Apple doesn't do anything in this space at their next event in March, I'm moving on.

I want something faster, with faster wifi (I also finally ditched Apple routers and I'm happy). Apps like spotify and plex, and a better UI. We're big Netflix/hulu users, as well as Prime members, though we rarely watch prime video. I don't use plex now with very young children but I see a future where it is useful, and I have hundreds of dvds I would like to backup to a home server.

The only reviews of these two boxes are at release, and I'm wondering if they have improved since launch. Has either voice search gained functionality into Netflix/hulu? Does either put Netflix/hulu content in the recently played list? Any other improvements since launch?

It seems Fire TV had better reviews than the Nexus Player, though I think I like the UI a bit more. How are the Netflix/hulu apps on either? I've always liked Apple's UI over apps on Blu-ray or our Panasonic tv. It seems higher resolution, which is also why I'm avoiding the roku.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks for your opinions.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I have both.
When it comes to basic performance, I honestly don't see any difference. Netflix , Hulu and Plex all work with no issues on both, Plex on the nexus player has a newer and in my opinion better UI, while the firetv is still stuck with the old version. The Firetv at the moment does have a better selection of apps HBO Go and Watch ESPN are an example and still not available for the nexus player, but the nexus player does have the ability to 'cast' so the lack of the apps on the nexus player can be composited with your smart phone or tablet.

When it comes to the UI, I very much prefer the nexus player over the firetv. The nexus player is simple, easy to navigate and the new material design of Android lollipop is beautiful.

When it comes down to the nuts and bolts of it though its simple, if you are invested in the Google ecosystem, then I would go with the Nexus, if as you say you are an amazon prime member (which I am not) I would go with that. My nexus is on my main TV and the firetv is in my daughter's room, I have no plans switching them back

Posted via the Android Central App

David Erato

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
The perfect guy to talk to. Thanks for the reply.

Is search universal on either platform yet?

Is spotify on the Nexus? I believe it is on fire tv.

Is the home screen on either deliver recently played or delivered content from any app? I dream of a day where from the home screen I'm one click away from a new hulu show, where I left off on a Netflix show, my last played spotify album, etc.

We're invested in the Apple ecosystem, but not so much where swapping streamers will make a difference. So we have no android devices, except a fire tablet 8gb with ads that we got for buying a van (It will be a toy for the kids), but we are prime members.

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
No Spotify on the nexus.

Search on the nexus is better then it is on the firetv, but its not universal. From the home screen if you do a voice search it will bring up movies or television shows available on google play (the same goes with the firetv, it brings up shows available on prime) I have found though, that on the nexus it does seem to bring up content available on your Plex server... Every once in a while, its kinda weird sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You can also do some simple searches on the nexus that aren't available on the firetv such as asking the weather, phone numbers or information on actors . I haven't did to much experimenting with it to be honest, but it does work fairly well. You can also do voice search on the Plex app on the nexus but the voice search in the firetv app is not supported yet, but I'm sure when Plex updates their app for the firetv that will change.

I do believe both show recently played content on the home screen, I'm fuzzy about the firetv, I think it does...my daughter is sleeping right now so I can't check for sure, but the nexus player does for every app, Plex, Netflix, Hulu etc, even google play music will suggest songs to play or your recently played music

For the record, my in-laws have the apple tv, and both the firetv and the nexus player are far better experiences then the apple device, maybe that will change this year, but at the moment, its not even close

David Erato

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I may have to pick up both at Best buy and return the one I don't perfer. Or give it to my folks and swap of a software update makes one better than the other.

Thinking about it, as great as voice search may be, we use a harmony remote and hide the other remotes from the young kids, who won't let go of they find one. I can just see that remote disappearing into the place where lost this go.

It doesn't sound like much had changed since the devices have been released.

Last edited:

H2o

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Unless your harmony remote is Bluetooth, I'm not sure it will work, both the firetv and nexus remotes are Bluetooth. The firetv's remote is much better quality then then nexus players. The nexus players borders on just plain cheap.

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
The game changer for me is the lollirock custom rom for the nexus player. This provides full android 5 and ui, AFTV can't touch this.

David Erato

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Interesting. I may just make collecting media streamers a hobby. It seems nobody has it quite right yet. I am hoping these boxes may innovate faster than the Apple TV.

Aaron Davies

Feb 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a Roku, Apple TV, FireTV and a Nexus player. As far as UI goes, Nexus wins by a long shot. The app selection and update schedule is the pits though. Roku is second best in UI, but beats everybody in app selection. Apple TV has poor selection of apps (but they have HBO Now and iTunes) but the UI is an afterthought. Fire TV has OK selection of apps, good hardware but the UI is complete utter garbage. There you go, happy hunting.

David Erato

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I actuality went with the fire tv, at least for my first one. I got the Sling tv deal, which basically means trying out the service for $10/3mo. Unfortunately it won't ship until early April. Oh well. I imagine I'll try them all at some point.

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Now that the Nexus player it's available in the UK I am thinking of getting one but have a few questions.

1) can you alter the DNS settings on the Nexus?

2) can you side load regular Android apps?

3) How well does Kodi work this looks like it will let me replace my aging popcorn hour for streaming duties.

4) what are the chances of Amazon prime instant coming to this?

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
1. haven't done it myself, no need but here is a thread How to change DNS IP | Nexus Player | XDA Forums

2. With the stock firmware update 5.1, Google has removed the compatibility to thousands of apps that you could manually sideload in the Nexus Player. In fact, the menu of classic applications is no longer accessible and in this way, in one fell swoop, broke compatibility with the classic Android world.

For you in the UK here is a thread that may be of interest; I had BBC iPlayer sideloaded, but could not access the standard menus after the 5.1 update. Quite a shame. The whole reason I bought the NP was to watch UK television. It worked perfect being rooted using droidmote (to access all those now nonexistent menus). Now have to wait for official UK apps for the NP. My NP is now reduced to a casting device.

3. kodi works well and is really the only reason to get the nexus player.

4. GregC has a post that it is available in Kodi
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...n-prime-instant-video-now-available-kodi.html

Here is my two cents on the nexus player, its not a bad piece of hardware for the price. I tired quickly with navigating with a remote, if you like to do the up, down left right, enter all day long then have it. I have mine connected to a USB hub with wireless mouse.

There is limited app support, especially if the 5.1 update really cripples the ability to sideload apps.

I installed lollirock a custom rom and it turn the nexus player into the box it should have been to begin with. Full Android 5 UI and playstore. The dev has released a 5.1 version that seems to be stable, but am waiting a little longer as there isn't much difference.
[ROM][AOSP][LolliRock][v.1.5] | Nexus Player | XDA Forums

help with installing lollirock
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...-lollirock-rocks-custom-rom-nexus-player.html

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your answers. It almost sounds like the fire tv box is the way to go now and just keep my Chromecast fire Google movies and music. A pity your can no longer side load apps I was beginning to think this box was going to hit all the marks for me.

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I ended up buying one this morning as it is the last day of my vacation and wanted to spend some time tinkering with it. On the one hand I am really impressed with the interface and speed of the unit. I love having an actual GUI where I can multi task by playing Google music while I browse Netflix.

Installing kodi was a breeze even after having just finished a journey involving three planes and being awake for almost 24 hours. I will keep the unit for kodi alone as it does a much better job playing my local media then my aging popcorn hour although I can't seem to get it to play DTS soundtracks does anyone know if this is possible?

However the biggest disappointment, and I can't believe I hadn't read about it elsewhere, is that Netflix is stereo only. It had not even occurred to me that this would be an issue especially since Chromecast outputs it in DD+

Also I am surprised by the lack of video apps for the UK considering the six month delay in being it out over here.

Now to try and work out how to get Amazon video working via kodi and it will make a good bedroom box seeing as I don't have a amp in there.

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
If you like tinkering, I'd recommend eventually installing the custom rom lollirock, opens up full google play store with full GUI, you can run lean back launcher (the one that comes with the nexus player) or HALauncher

Audio link I have, you should be able to get it working through Kodi, the thread mentions the netflix app may be the issue
Dolby Digital on Netflix | Nexus Player | XDA Forums

Here is a link for amazon prime repo
https://seo-michael.co.uk/tutorial-how-to-install-amazon-prime-instant-video-xbmc-kodi/

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks got Amazon working.

Is it just me or it's there no Songza integration in Google music on the Nexus player?

Elvenenoo

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I just got my nexus player today, and I loved...until I notice that netflix doesn't come pre-installed and I don't see any way to do it by myself, I'm a big netflix user and this is a huge disappointment. Any help??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12