Liking/Disliking, Favoriting/Unfavoriting YouTube vids?

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Got a Nexus Player on the cheap and am enjoying its advantages over my Chromecast. :) I'm a bit late to the game, but couldn't pass up the price.

However, I use Chromecast about 80% of the time for YouTube, from which I follow many vloggers and other various channels quite regularly. I like to show my support for their hard work by thumbing the videos up and commenting from time to time.

I'm noticing I can't find a thumb up or thumb down...or a favorite button, for that matter...via Nexus Player. Is this hidden somewhere I'm not seeing?
In the Play Music app, I can easily thumb up or thumb down a song. Why on earth would that not be in the same exact spot for YouTube videos? Makes no sense. I'm a little disappointed in this regard. I now have to open the video on my phone or computer in order to interact with it in any way; something as simple as a thumb up or favoriting. Any ideas here?

I also tried going into the Play Store via Nexus Player and updating the YouTube app, but it's not even listed in the store, I assume because it's part of the default Nexus Player. So, no go.

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
The app is quiet limited, in fact the 3rd party one the fire tv seems to be better. Lots of annoying things on the official YouTube app.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
The app is quiet limited, in fact the 3rd party one the fire tv seems to be better. Lots of annoying things on the official YouTube app.

Yikes, what a disappointment. Chromecast forces you to of course use your device you're casting from, so the video is already right in front of you anyway. This app is even more basic than the Play Music app, yet the YouTube platform has existed since like 2006. Sad.

Is a solution to this downloading a third party youtube app? Do those exist? Time to do some research, I guess. Thanks, Digital Moe!

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I had a look no other apps exist. The third party one I mentioned is on my fire tv. Hopefully Google will update the Android tv one to make it more usable. I still can't believe that for subscribed channels you only get 4 or 5 videos from what is actually available.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I completely agree. Thanks for the response anyway though!
Now I'm playing around with Kodi. Since I don't have a router with a USB drive, I had to fiddle around with Windows network sharing, but it works without lag or anything!

Now if only I could figure out why the resolution on my nexus player cuts things off of the screen like the time and some edges of menus. Gotta check out the settings again.
After the resolution fix, it's emulators, and then I'll be completely set up! This is definitely a step-up from the Chromecast, but the chromecast has the advantage of simplicity. :)