I am incredibly disappointed at the new music app incompatibility

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully this is a temporary thing, but if not (or even if so) I am incredibly disappointed in Google.

For those of you who missed it, the new Play Music app breaks compatibility with the Nexus Q. Not just prevents new features, but prevents an otherwise working and happy customer from being able to use a device that worked perfectly two days ago. And since this was not publicized until after many eager enthusiasts had already installed the update (or for people like my wife, who have it set to auto update) I expect that a lot of people are in the "too late" situation where they have to either scrounge around for an older apk (if you have one, please link it for me), or choose to give up on a device that may be playing a key part of your home entertainment set up.

I get it - they pulled it before officially selling them (although at the time they indicated that they were improving the product, not cancelling it), and while I'd hoped to see a revamped version announced I wasn't necessarily expecting any exciting new features to come to the black orb in my living room. But I didn't expect Google to silently break the device's functionality - we moved nice speakers upstairs and bought an affordable TV to set up a tertiary entertainment area with ours.

Anyhow, I know that Google often cancels products that are not adopted widely, but they usually at least have the decency to announce it in advance. This is simply a rotten way to treat customers that bought into their ecosystem.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully this is a temporary thing, but if not (or even if so) I am incredibly disappointed in Google.

For those of you who missed it, the new Play Music app breaks compatibility with the Nexus Q. Not just prevents new features, but prevents an otherwise working and happy customer from being able to use a device that worked perfectly two days ago. And since this was not publicized until after many eager enthusiasts had already installed the update (or for people like my wife, who have it set to auto update) I expect that a lot of people are in the "too late" situation where they have to either scrounge around for an older apk (if you have one, please link it for me), or choose to give up on a device that may be playing a key part of your home entertainment set up.

I get it - they pulled it before officially selling them (although at the time they indicated that they were improving the product, not cancelling it), and while I'd hoped to see a revamped version announced I wasn't necessarily expecting any exciting new features to come to the black orb in my living room. But I didn't expect Google to silently break the device's functionality - we moved nice speakers upstairs and bought an affordable TV to set up a tertiary entertainment area with ours.

Anyhow, I know that Google often cancels products that are not adopted widely, but they usually at least have the decency to announce it in advance. This is simply a rotten way to treat customers that bought into their ecosystem.

My neighbor (who likes to flaunt his Nexus Q to others) was complaining about this to me before going to work as well. He was forced to use other music players and he was highly dependent on Google Play Music.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My neighbor (who likes to flaunt his Nexus Q to others) was complaining about this to me before going to work as well. He was forced to use other music players and he was highly dependent on Google Play Music.

That's the worst of it (no, not the loss of flaunting): it feels like Google is expressly screwing those who most invested in their ecosystem.

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That's the worst of it (no, not the loss of flaunting): it feels like Google is expressly screwing those who most invested in their ecosystem.

Google likely didn't see any profit in supporting the Nexus Q any longer, since there were only so much people who bought such device. Nonetheless, this is inexcusable for Google.

Also, have you tried reporting this problem yet? It may be fixed if Google is informed.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I did send an email to their support system. Engadget reported yesterday that there was some hopeful (but also conflicting) responses to others on the subject, so hopefully I'll get a response in the next couple days. Let's hope this is a case where the squeaky wheel gets the oil, since it should be trivial to put the code back in to at least enable streaming like the previous music app supported.

Dan29466

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Quit trying to pretend that you "invested in their ecosystem". You didn't invest in anything. You got a free toy. Every Nexus Q was either given away at I/O or shipped for free to people who pre-ordered. If you paid for yours, then you invested in some dude's party fund by purchasing something that he got for free.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Quit trying to pretend that you "invested in their ecosystem". You didn't invest in anything. You got a free toy. Every Nexus Q was either given away at I/O or shipped for free to people who pre-ordered. If you paid for yours, then you invested in some dude's party fund by purchasing something that he got for free.

I'm not talking about the cost of the device itself (which I did pay for, but whatever I get that it was second hand). You realize that using one requires speakers and (in our case) a TV to use it right? Not to mention switching media consumption to the Play store, which was a lot of music and video purchases over the last 6-8 months that otherwise would have gone to other companies (and which now will not work if we update our music apps). Also, it's not like Google said this was an experimental product or that they were cancelling it, they instead claimed they were working to improve it (e.g. they implied a future release).

I don't expect Google to pour resources into adding new features to it, but I expect them to not intentionally break basic functionality. I also expect more than basic trolling on the AC forums, which is how your response comes off IMO.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com

Go to the Play Store and go to My Apps. In there, go to the Google Music app and click "uninstall." That will uninstall the most recent update and restore compatibility with your Nexus Q.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Go to the Play Store and go to My Apps. In there, go to the Google Music app and click "uninstall." That will uninstall the most recent update and restore compatibility with your Nexus Q.

Thanks - I actually noticed yesterday that you can get to it directly by dragging the app icon from the app drawer to "app info" and then reset it to the factory condition. Which I've done (and since updated it to a more recent but not-the-latest version). I still think it's ridiculous that they broke compatibility, but at least I can keep playing my music.