Google Photos App - Can't Download Photos

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just switched from a Nexus 6P to a Galaxy Note 5, and am wanting to use one of my photos uploaded to Google Photos as my lock screen wallpaper. Problem is, a bunch of my photos stored in the cloud are unable to be downloaded (the download option isn't listed in the menu when I open some photos).

I can view the photos just fine on both mobile and desktop.

Any ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Moved this to the Google Photos forum. Did you originally take those photos, or were they shared with you by someone else? If someone shared them via Google+, and that person didn't turn on the Google+ setting that allows others to download the photo, that could cause your situation.

Devhux

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.

I took the photos myself on my Nexus 6P when I had it. Things like screenshots can be downloaded just fine, but these photos can't for some reason.

e9cd05bc1e8fabf22e8b87301383a04e.jpg

99cc0d9df5c6b2b53fb684710cbee29c.jpg

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's odd. Go to the App Manager, select Google Photos, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open it again and wait a few seconds for the data to re-sync. Still the same problem?

Nihalio Coolio

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
I just switched from a Nexus 6P to a Galaxy Note 5, and am wanting to use one of my photos uploaded to Google Photos as my lock screen wallpaper. Problem is, a bunch of my photos stored in the cloud are unable to be downloaded (the download option isn't listed in the menu when I open some photos).

I can view the photos just fine on both mobile and desktop.

Any ideas?

Same thing with me. I blame Samsung. Clear cache works again.

drlalitkapoor

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
I am using a Note 4 and had the same issue. Was unable to download photos from a shared album in Google photos. There's was no 'Download' indicator in the drop down menu.

I did just as mentioned - cleared the Cache and Date going via the Applications manager. And then Force closed the app.

Restarted the app which started repopulating for a while. And then when I checked the 'Download' indicator appeared in the drop down menu.

So this trick works.

Thanks

Rabba10

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
That's odd. Go to the App Manager, select Google Photos, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now open it again and wait a few seconds for the data to re-sync. Still the same problem?
Hi, having similar issue with Asus. Says Cannot download photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is your situation exactly the same as the OP's, or are there any differences? Can you tell us what you've already tried? More details are always helpful.

Anton Anderssen

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Sup guys. Have almost the same problem. Sometimes there are no "download" button. But I've managed to get used to it. But when there is a "download" button and I'm clicking on it... No proper photos are downloaded. In "restored" folder comes up an html file named as photo***.jpg for example. That's all.

sirbagin

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Sup guys. Have almost the same problem. Sometimes there are no "download" button. But I've managed to get used to it. But when there is a "download" button and I'm clicking on it... No proper photos are downloaded. In "restored" folder comes up an html file named as photo***.jpg for example. That's all.

Hi,
Just go to Drive app, press 3 bar menu and choose Google Photos. From the you can download any photo or video back to your phone e/tablet.

Anton Anderssen

Dec 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you sirbagin. It did the trick.

<butthurt>
But why I have to use an extra app just to download my pics?
Great functionality, bravo Google. </butthurt>

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I know this sounds like a silly question, but for those photos you can't download from Google Photos -- are you certain they're not already on the phone's storage? If you go to Google Photos, select the photo, and tap the overflow menu button at the upper right, is there an option for "Delete Device Copy"?

Jon Smith16

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Google Photos App - Can't Download Photos 4 k

I was having trouble backing up Google photos, would take forever or just wouldn't happen.Especially with large files eg ..4k video.
This may seem like an obvious thing to check but make sure if you are backing up from WiFi only that your Wi-Fi is always set to stay on while backing up.
WiFi ..Settings...Advanced..Wi Fi always on.
If this is not selected and your Wi-Fi disables when sleeping or in power saving mode it doesnt have time to complete the back up.
When Wi Fi restarts it starts from the beginning of the process again.
Hope this helps someone.