Android O Speculation

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
The Pixel 2 is likely to be a showcase for Android O or 8.0 or whatever it will be called. We're still at the stage of rumours and speculation for both the device and OS, so feel free to guess some imaginative hardware and software developments. :)

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Android O

Firstly the name. I'm sure we can all guess its going to be "Oreo" :D I quite like it and i hope Google uses it.

The first feature i heard about is "Copy Less" and here is how it could potentially work:

If you and a friend are having a conversation in a chat about where to eat dinner and you find a good restaurant in the Yelp app, when you go back to your conversation and type “it’s at,” one automatically generated suggestion in Gboard would be the restaurant’s address.”

Source:

The second feature i quite like was "Improved gestures"

Today you can quickly call up your contacts using Ok Google, but in Android O you will be able to draw onscreen the letter C to open your contacts menu

Source:

Im actually quite happy with the current features we have and would be ok if they just did performance improvements and security encasements :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I would love to see an option to modify Doze a little. Offer an aggressive version like in Naptime, I would also like to see adding a wifi connection to Smart Lock.

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site

I would love to see an option to modify Doze a little. Offer an aggressive version like in Naptime, I would also like to see adding a wifi connection to Smart Lock.

I think improving on Doze-On-The-Go will have to be huge. One thing Android lacks when it comes to the iPhone 7/7+ or even the 6s series is staying power. The same sized battery in a 7+ compared to a Pixel XL or a Pixel is just terrible. I'd love to have that kind of resource and battery management come to Android.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

I think improving on Doze-On-The-Go will have to be huge. One thing Android lacks when it comes to the iPhone 7/7+ or even the 6s series is staying power. The same sized battery in a 7+ compared to a Pixel XL or a Pixel is just terrible. I'd love to have that kind of resource and battery management come to Android.

Definitely agree. Apple does a really great job at making their 'small' batteries last a very long time. I hope the improved Dose can help us eek out a couple extra minutes or even hours :) This could be because the iPhone screen resolution is 1080p vs 1440p seen on most flagship devices. :)