Case/skin?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm using the Spigen liquid crystal and really like it. It's thin and flexible, but the side buttons still feel really good. This phone is big and a case can really make it seem even bigger if you aren't careful.

My ideal case is one with actual cutouts for the buttons. Anyone have one of those?

Edit: my bad, this is meant for the Pixel XL

I have the Spigen Rugged Armor which fits great, and have the same thought on the side buttons - it's the first case I've ever had that hits all the right points in that regard: great tactile feel with a solid 'click,' the buttons aren't recessed back into a thick shell so you're not digging in to find them, and the power button is textured (like the actual power button) helping to identify it. Also, cutouts for all the ports are large enough to accommodate any connection I've used.

I also have the RhinoShield CrashGuard bumper on preorder, and am thinking it would look really good with the Dbrand black leather skin and colored Google logo on the back.

Impulses

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I always use Diztronic TPU cases.

For $10, you get durable, good-looking protection that is precision cut to protect against bumps and drops. I've used a Diztronic case on all my devices over the last handful of years. Previously, I paid thru the nose for Seidio cases, which were great also, but Diztronic accomplishes the same protection for a 1/4 of the cost and they are ridiculously easy to put on and take off...

I've used a mix of Diztronic and Cruzerlite for years, all thru my EVO LTE and Nexus 5... They hold up real well. I'd have bought a black Diztronic (they look classy and make for good discrete backups if you usually rock a more colorful one) if they were already available, but they're not so I've gone with a Spigen Rugged Armor for now

Waiting to see what Cruzerlite and Caseology come up with, never tried the latter but their two piece Parallax intrigues me. Cruzerlite does give you a choice of covered buttons or not with their two different designs, but no ETA yet.

ThiSidUp

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Recently my favorite has been the Evolutive Labs Crash Guard. It is a bumper with some rather crazy characteristics...

Currently have one on my 6P and happy to see they'll be available for the Pixels. I think there is a 15% discount on pre-orders.

Not available for the V20 yet. Looks nice though.

Desertnate

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the Spigen Rugged Armor on my Pixel for a couple of days now and I really like it.

I don't place a whole lot of weight on appearances for my phone or cases, but I do find it nice looking. The TPU is soft and textured just right so it isn't slippery. It adds very little bulk to the phone, yet still seems to offer respectable protection from drops.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I just realized the Dbrand back skin also covers the sides. If I use this with a tight fitting bumper like the RhinoShield CrashGuard*it's going to destroy the skin the first time I take the phone out of the bumper isn't it?

Totally didn't occur to me til just now.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just realized the Dbrand back skin also covers the sides. If I use this with a tight fitting bumper like the RhinoShield CrashGuard*it's going to destroy the skin the first time I take the phone out of the bumper isn't it?

Be careful, work one corner off first, and then remove. If that corner gets warped, warm with a hair dryer and smooth back into place.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

I'm using the leather back with the CrashGuard on my XL. I'll put it this way... it's REALLY tight. If you plan on taking the phone in and out of the bumper, don't use the Dbrand. It took quite a bit of work to get it in cleanly, and I suspect it'll be tougher to get it out. That said, once in, it looks great - and I plan on just leaving mine in. Also, it seems the buttons are maybe a little harder to press than w/o the skin, but I'm not planning on taking it out to do a comparison again.

Here's a post of my experience with the install, including pictures with the bumper: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...what-exactly-do-i-need-order.html#post5547379

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input, now I'm torn. Maybe I'll go careless and stick with TPU for rough days. Not liking the bulk of this bumper anyway.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Not 100% sure what I'm going to do just yet. With the bumper, the Pixel XL is almost exactly the same width as my Nexus 6, naked, and I was enjoying the fact that (before putting the bumper on) it was a bit easier to manage.

Last edited:

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Got my Dbrand black leather and applied it carefully to my Pixel. The only problem is that at the base of the phone I feel a rough edge of the skin. Heated it applying, etc, tried to trim it, etc. Took it off and threw it away because the phone feels so good without anything on it. I do have a Spigen clear case to use if I expect an impact day.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Did they include the short version that doesn't cover the top and bottom edges? That's the one I'm going to try, I think that will survive the bumper case removal.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Did they include the short version that doesn't cover the top and bottom edges? That's the one I'm going to try, I think that will survive the bumper case removal.

They did. It still wraps around the sides with cutouts for the SIM tray and power/volume buttons. Not that it's not just the edge, but a slightly wider strip (I think about the size of the front bezels) exposed. I'd have switched to that, but I'm wanting to protect the rear glass, and would be worried that over time it would be like a 'tan line' effect with the exposed part picking up scratches and the covered clean.

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I just got mine yesterday and wouldn't take it out of the box until I got a case for it. I got the black/black Incipio Dual Pro. I have used these cases on almost every phone I have owned. Great protection, not too bulky, just wish they came in more color options for the Pixel.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
They did. It still wraps around the sides with cutouts for the SIM tray and power/volume buttons. Not that it's not just the edge, but a slightly wider strip (I think about the size of the front bezels) exposed. I'd have switched to that, but I'm wanting to protect the rear glass, and would be worried that over time it would be like a 'tan line' effect with the exposed part picking up scratches and the covered clean.

Right. I'm also considering simply cutting the sides off the full coverage piece. Bumper covers the sides, don't need Dbrand there.

MikeBerry3

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site

Try the natural or alcantara series of slick wraps. They only cover the back and don't wrap around at all so perfect to go with a bumper

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams