Pixel: Quick Charge 3.0 or USB-C PD?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Although the Snapdragon 821 is capable of Quick Charge 3.0 for the Pixel, it looks like Google has elected to use the USB-C Power Delivery standard. I just looked up a bunch of very confusing technical stuff, but the big advantage of PD is use of the data connection within USB-C while charging. ( like from a computer ). I don't think there is very much difference in the rate of charging with PD vs Quick Charge. Rest assured, the Pixels will charge VERY quickly.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Although the Snapdragon 821 is capable of Quick Charge 3.0 for the Pixel, it looks like Google has elected to use the USB-C Power Delivery standard. I just looked up a bunch of very confusing technical stuff, but the big advantage of PD is use of the data connection within USB-C while charging. ( like from a computer ). I don't think there is very much difference in the rate of charging with PD vs Quick Charge. Rest assured, the Pixels will charge VERY quickly.
Thanks for the tip. So you have a source comparing charging speed between quick-charge 3.0 with USB-C Power Delivery? I thought quick-charge was faster.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The disadvantage is that with quick-charge you lose usb 3 speed when transferring files to the pc, I believe. But regarding charging speed, which one is faster?

Faster depends on the implementation. USB pd can do up to 100w which is a lot. No smartphone supports this rate or anywhere near it though .

I am not sure what the max power is on quick charge 3.0 but Qualcomm indicates that it is enough to charge notebook computers.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Can the cord that comes with the HTC10 be safely used with the Pixel? There were some shenanigans with QC not adhering to the USB-C protocol and high jacking a wire...I think.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Faster depends on the implementation. USB pd can do up to 100w which is a lot. No smartphone supports this rate or anywhere near it though .

I am not sure what the max power is on quick charge 3.0 but Qualcomm indicates that it is enough to charge notebook computers.

So for purposes of a car charger, there's no practical benefit in paying $40 for the Belkin USB-C PD Car Charger over something like this Aukey QC 3.0 Car Charger for $15 (though it would require buying a separate cable)?

If not, I'd be heavily inclined towards the latter which would also provide a 'traditional' USB connection for charging other devices...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
So for purposes of a car charger, there's no practical benefit in paying $40 for the Belkin USB-C PD Car Charger over something like this Aukey QC 3.0 Car Charger for $15 (though it would require buying a separate cable)?

If not, I'd be heavily inclined towards the latter which would also provide a 'traditional' USB connection for charging other devices...

Good question.

I have numerous QC 2.0 and 3.0 wall warts, Benson-approved USB-C cables, and a higher-output car charger that provided "Fast Charging" for my N7. But, it's not clear to me if:

- Regular Benson-approved USB-C cables have the appropriate pin-outs for the PD standard
- It's much slower to use QC 2.0/3.0 chargers with the cables mentioned above

So, I (painfully) purchased a second OEM charger from the Google Store, just so I can have home/work charging when the Pixel arrives. Figured this will give me some time to learn about the PD spec as it applies to cables and wall warts.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you use a Quick Charge charger, it'll likely just default to maximum 5V/2.4A charging when used with a Pixel.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The pixel phones will charge at a max rate of 18W (2A x 9V) when charged with a USB charger that supports USB PD and that charger supports the 9V profile.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I bought a second 18 W USB-C charger from the Google Store. I will keep the one that comes with the phone at work and use the other at home... That way I can ensure to always have a good / fast charge :).

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
One thing I have to say is my Nexus 6p charged significantly faster than my wife's Note 7 when she had it... I'll take Type C's PD over QC any day.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You would need one that supports the charging method compatible with your device. The pixel doesn't support quick charge 3.0 so buying one wouldn't get you the fastest charging speeds

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
You would need one that supports the charging method compatible with your device. The pixel doesn't support quick charge 3.0 so buying one wouldn't get you the fastest charging speeds

Hmm... Qualcomm 821 does offer native support for Quick Charge 3.0 (source), but maybe there are other co-requirements Google didn't implement in the design to enable it? Kind of a shame, if so, even if they did enable a 'newer' system, as many of us already have numerous QC3.0 chargers lying around.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Hmm... Qualcomm 821 does offer native support for Quick Charge 3.0 (source), but maybe there are other co-requirements Google didn't implement in the design to enable it? Kind of a shame, if so, even if they did enable a 'newer' system, as many of us already have numerous QC3.0 chargers lying around.

I plugged my Sammy Quick Charge cable into my Pixel but it appeared to only charge at a normal rate.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
OK, so for car chargers, I am not clear on the best charger to use with a Pixel.

Not sure the question got answered about the real-life advantages of the Belkin PD car charger.

Any updates or clarity on this topic?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante