Google really needs a "get a Pixel a year" program

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Seriously, I think Google should emulate Apple's program with their new Pixel phones. A lot of people already pay for insurance, and I bet there are plenty of people who would be willing to spend a bit more in monthly installments to always have the newest Google phone.

At the least they should offer this for Project Fi, but if they're serious about moving hardware they ought to debut a program like this ASAP, since it makes it easier for more people to budget for yearly upgrades, and it's an effective form of soft lock-in.

What do you guys think?

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd consider it, but there's an easier solution - Just have the thing available on all carriers.

Apple does both

I absolutely think they should also make it available on all carriers, but I'm not sure it's actually "easier" since carriers usually want to control updates and add crap to the user experience. But either way, full carrier support is a separate thing from offering a direct annual unlocked upgrade (and it would more closely fit in with their views on commoditizing carrier networks).

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Seriously, I think Google should emulate Apple's program with their new Pixel phones. A lot of people already pay for insurance, and I bet there are plenty of people who would be willing to spend a bit more in monthly installments to always have the newest Google phone.

At the least they should offer this for Project Fi, but if they're serious about moving hardware they ought to debut a program like this ASAP, since it makes it easier for more people to budget for yearly upgrades, and it's an effective form of soft lock-in.

What do you guys think?

If they have this, I would but the phone the day it is available.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't see the need for this. Can't you just sell your phone after a year and purchase a new one already? I fail to see the need for this program.
Not everybody knows how to do this or wants to go through the hassle. If Google offers an easy hassle free way of doing it then some people will jump on it.
Lots of people are willing to pay for convenience.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Not everybody knows how to do this or wants to go through the hassle. If Google offers an easy hassle free way of doing it then some people will jump on it.
Lots of people are willing to pay for convenience.

Not only that, but it's a way to lock consumers in for longer periods of time.

The thought process is, why would I go search for a new different phone when I know I can easily get the latest and greatest every year from Google? Now, if I don't like the first phone in that cycle, I'll search for alternatives, but if the first phone builds my loyalty then it's much easier to stick with something I know I like.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Insurance is always a waste of money. With all the stuff I bought and paid insurance I could have afforded the Pixel with the money I wasted.

Put a tempered glass screen protector and use a TPU case and you should be fine.

ki11ak3nn

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
People keep talking about the bezels like it's a bad thing. Yeah they might be ugly (which is subjective), but they don't seem to make the phone that much bigger. The XL really isn't much bigger than the regular Pixel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol