According to Android Police, Huawei passed on the chance to manufacture the Pixel phones

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. I appreciate The build quality of HTC's phones more than huawei's. I love my 6P, but comparing the materials and feel to other metal phones like the HTC 10 or even the iPhone, in my opinion it falls a little short.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't really care who builds the Pixel, I just want it to be a great phone.

Huawei, HTC, LG, Samsung - whatever.

The article seems to suggest that the relationship between Google and Huawei broke down a bit over the Nexus 6P, which is a shame. And I can't imagine OEM's are happy with Google going all out with the Pixel phone this year.

Guess we'll see what happens with Android. Seems like Google want to be a major player in the market.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Huawei probably wanted their name on it and I wouldnt blame them if that was the reason. They've put together some nice phones over the past 2 years and are definitely on the come up.

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Huawei probably wanted their name on it and I wouldnt blame them if that was the reason. They've put together some nice phones over the past 2 years and are definitely on the come up.

The problem with Huawei is that they have utterly failed so far in the US market. Huawei basically fired all of their US division recently. I am huge fan of their designs, not so much of their UI. They could enter the US via an ODM way just like HTC did.

So it comes down to getting no money at all or operating as an ODM, Huawei choose the former even though they could have made a bunch of money as the latter now with Blackberry not producing their own phones. That's two contracts right there.

If I had to choose between a HTC made Pixel or a Huawei made Pixel, That's a really tough choice. On one hand you have HTC that makes solid phones. The fit and finish is second to none. The screens are never the best (but far from the worst) and the cameras even at their best are still middle of the pack. The last device HTC put together for google was pretty bad at first. My Bf had 3 Nexus 9s before he got his money back. My sister went through 2. It left a bad impression with me.

On the other hand you have Huawei that built the best quality Nexus device to date with the best camera to date that beat out the HTC 10 (m9) in image quality. The Nexus 6p did leave a bit to be desired in fit and finish. Rough edges on the metal, the metal could have been a high grade metal.

kayropr

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I always had a great experience with HTC phones so not too disappointed with that decision. I am a little disappointed that supposedly Huawei passed on the phone. I LOVE my Nexus 6p even thou at 1st I wasn't a big fan of the camera design but it grew on me.