I'M IN!

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to wait for reviews. If Google wants to play with Apple and Samsung in the high-price sandbox, they need to bring their no-compromise A-game to justify the price increase over the Nexus line. For me, this means:

1. Best in class camera, and not just on paper. I want to see camera samples that equal or exceed what the Galaxy S7, HTC 10, and iPhone 7 can put out.
  2. Honest-to-god all-day battery life under moderate to heavy use, with no service compromises. That means unplug at 7, work all day, and still have some in the tank by 10 pm with location, GPS, bluetooth, etc. all turned on. No battery anxiety.
  3. Premium construction. No flex, no flimsiness, no fluff-catching seams, and a surface that doesn't scratch if you look at it funny (hello iPhone Piano Black).
  4. No lag. Zero. Zilch. Not even a hiccup. And no slowdown after a couple of weeks of use.
  5. Guaranteed two years of timely updates (no weeks-long delays for updates at the end of its life like the poor Nexus 6 just experienced). This can't be predicted in a review, of course, but it would help justify the cost.

Extreme? Maybe, but Google got close to this list with the last run of Nexus phones, and they were far cheaper. That lower price made them very tempting despite minor drawbacks. If they want to charge premium prices, the Pixel can no longer be "good enough." It has to be absolutely great for it to stand a chance at success against the marketing might of Samsung and Apple. This particular road is littered with phones that tried and failed to travel it.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
The price does not justify what you get when a year old device can do near the same thing for half as much. That battery in the pixel is to small. They tout fast charging so they know it is an issue. Metal back, so no wireless charge? People will miss that. As long as people keep stepping up to pay these high price tags they will keep pushing the envelope. My year old MXPE and iPhone 6s and 6 month old HTC 10 still rock and are plenty fast. I see no reason to shell out for this. The payment plans will entice people and soften the blow. But they are sucker plans. Tons of fans will buy them tho. I see no slow down in the high prices coming anytime soon.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I will hold on to my 6P for as long as I can. The 6P is the best Google phone ever. The 5 had crappy battery life, the 6 was to big to hold and had reliability issues the 6P is perfect. The Pixel to too overpriced.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza