Finally a Google phone with great photography chops?

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
No 1080p @60fps is a bummer for those of us with active kids. I've pre-ordered one, but I'm not confident I'll be able to get a 3rd party app to record it.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
No 1080p @60fps is a bummer for those of us with active kids. I've pre-ordered one, but I'm not confident I'll be able to get a 3rd party app to record it.

It won't do 4k at 60fps, but it will do 1080p at up to 120fps.

Maybe you were looking at the front facing camera specs as that only does 1080p at 30fps.

Bpschoon81

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Specs say 120 fps at 1080p.

I know, but isn't that slow mo? The Droid Life preview video (which is really quite good) went into the video settings and it didn't give you an option to select the frame rate. I believe it defaulted all the shooting modes to 30fps on standard videos.

racdyn

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Agree, too many times camera on the other phones, cameras look good on paper but doesn't live up in real life! Hopefully this will not be the case with the pixel given the price of the device. Can't wait

scaots

May 29, 2010
Visit site
Am I missing something or are the camera specs the same as 6P? What are all those improvements to the camera that they touted? Or is it just software and better digital stabilization?

EDIT: software is definitely important and a big part of what stock camera has been missing, but they seemed to boast the hardware also but no OIS and it sounds similar to 6P so...

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
The camera looks great. I don't care if it's OIS or EIS as long as the results are good. The improvement seems to be that the camera is "tied" to the gyroscope vs a small motor to oscillate to cancel out the vibrations. I am really interested in seeing how it works.

lrrowley

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
From what I've read here on AC, it appears that the big difference is the Snapdragon 821. I guess it has something built-in specifically for cameras and photo processing, and the software has been built to leverage that.

Am I missing something or are the camera specs the same as 6P? What are all those improvements to the camera that they touted? Or is it just software and better digital stabilization?

EDIT: software is definitely important and a big part of what stock camera has been missing, but they seemed to boast the hardware also but no OIS and it sounds similar to 6P so...

Michael Mahon

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
I didnt see anything about OIS, just software based video stabilization. If it doesnt have OIS then I would be bummed. DXO is great and all but that in a controlled studio environment where something like OIS has no use. DXO is mainly good for comparing sensor to sensor for things like detail, noise, fringing, etc.

Originally I had the same concerns as I historically take horrible low light photos due to hand shake, I usually get by this by taking a ton of photos. My concerns however have been somewhat alleviated so far by an article on Android Authority my other go to which spent there 10 min hands on doing a comparison of the camera between pixel xl, edge 7, iPhone 7, lg v20 according to google they have gotten around it by using the gyroscope "instead Google says the camera samples the gyroscope 200 times per second, which allows it to compensate for shaking and rolling shutter" AA - Shootout: How good is the new Pixel XL camera? - Android Authority
The comparison was limited due to the situation no outdoor shots etc, limited timing, and limited ability to set up exactly the same precise shots but it looked good, and seemed to favour a more natural tone which I liked, even caught bubbles in a champagne flute (nice).

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 5x and 6p darkened the photos to much for my liking. Light Blue skies often deeper blue, and sometimes purplish. Hopefully a reviewer will comment on the tendency for the 6p to darken the photos os still present on the pixel. Also no 1080p at 60fps is very disappointing.

flan

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I think this is one of those "I'll believe it when I see it" cases. Seems like every Nexus phone has the "BEST CAMERa EVERZZzz!" and what you wind up with is totally mediocre with awful shutter lag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20