Finally a Google phone with great photography chops?

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
DxoMark score of 89.
Smartburst, zero shutter lag, great video stabilization, 1.55micron pixels....
Can't wait for the reviews...

Oh and unlimited full resolution photos and video storage...

ASD Dad

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I didnt see anything about OIS, just software based video stabilization. If it doesnt have OIS then I would be bummed. DXO is great and all but that in a controlled studio environment where something like OIS has no use. DXO is mainly good for comparing sensor to sensor for things like detail, noise, fringing, etc.

mogelijk

Trusted Member
Jul 14, 2013
Visit site

The video they showed of video OIS during the demo was very impressive, showing a video shot with no OIS side by side with video with OIS shot with the Pixel. They explained that the Pixel uses the gyroscope, sampling it 200 times a second, to provide the stabilization.It is not clear how the OIS works, it appears it could be a purely software based system -- then again, it appears to work well and (at least per Google) the camera is very fast.

And for those interested, here is the DXOmark review.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Why does it seem manufacturers generally get the dxO score they need when releasing a phone? But my less cynical side says that's a heck of a score.

karmamule

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My thread-thin rationale for actually getting this rests in large part on the great camera. Oh, and the extra googly-ness of it all. And I have a gadget problem.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My thread-thin rationale for actually getting this rests in large part on the great camera. Oh, and the extra googly-ness of it all. And I have a gadget problem.

I have a gadget problem too but not at the asking retail price by Google. I will wait a bit and then pick it up on Swappa most likely.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Why does it seem manufacturers generally get the dxO score they need when releasing a phone? But my less cynical side says that's a heck of a score.
Dx0 is not a neutral 3rd party. They are a software and consulting firm that sells their services to, among other places, cell phone companies.

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Look at the scores of the other phones. I don't know how much difference one point makes but there's several phones really close. That said, hats off to Google for making a good effort to better the camera!

rikeshmistry

Jun 21, 2016
Visit site
I am a Photographer and the Google Pixel would be perfect for me and for the days I do not carry my DSLR which can be bulky at times. So very happy to hear that its got an incredible camera. :)

chapaj

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
As a photographer who recently started his own photography business, I can't wait to try out the camera. I'm tired of the laggy one on my old Nexus 6.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781