Is everyone not understanding the value in the Pixels pricing?

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So quickly people look at the hardware and cry that it's not enough of an upgrade over "my phone". Skipping over the fact that this phone has the bleeding edge specs people beg for, there is so much money invested in the research and development into the software exclusive to the Pixels it's insane. The new AI system is more advanced than anything we've seen! This is not the basic "ok Google" that is on most phones. They also went above and beyond to create the BEST camera ever in a smartphone. Something everyone asks for. You're also getting unlimited FULL resolution storage in Google photos. Exclusive to the Pixels. You also will have up to the minute SECURITY updates. Another feature you ask for in a flagship.

And one other exclusive feature that most are forgetting that the general public will love. 24HR LIVE SUPPORT right on your phone. Non tech consumers will greatly value this. These things are not free folks!! These are the reasons you buy Pixels. Not just your basic hardware upgrade. The exclusive support for these devices is unmatched on Android.

Thank You....rant over :)

JeanRuse

Sep 27, 2016
Visit site
I had wondered about the value before the keynote, but afterwards, it really does make sense. For everything you're getting, it's a better deal than an iPhone 7 and exactly like you said, they need to cover their R&D. Plus, the 24/7 support would be like paying for Apple Care. And compared to other Android phones, nothing comes close to offering all that, completely agreed.

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't think people are looking past the sticker shock.
I pay AT&T $211/month for 2 lines and to finance a Iphone 6+($35/month) and a Galaxy S6 Edge ($38.13/ month sold it after the first 3 months). Although we get 15gb of data, we have never used more than 4gb in a month. So, I could get two of these phone at $27/month each and probably get by with $70/month in Project Fi service (combined) and would save $86/month. I would still be saving money after the AT&T phones are paid off. I plan to try Project Fi (hate that name) on my Nexus 6p while maintaining my AT&T coverage on a Pixel for a few weeks and see how it works out. The hardest part of my plan is to convince my wife into giving up the iPhone.
So when it comes to pricing, other than the subsidies that carriers are using to lock you into a contract, it really isn't that bad, especially if you can take advantage of Project Fi.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It comes down to what is important to you . there certainly is value in the added features,but it is only meaningful if you need them.

A61688

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
problem is: will existing phones get any of the software that this does? because that's all it has that is so advanced compared to others. the Sammy's and iCraps are water-resistant and have plenty of gimmicks compared to this.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
for people like me who already own the Note 7 and S7
(in my case, both), what's the point of getting the Pixel Plus? :confused:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
My $400 moto z play has unlimited Google photo storage as well.

We won't know how verizon handles security updates for a few months (I'm sure the first one will be fast but then....)

duratime

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, but I think the real question is, what do lose? The iPhones and Galaxies all cost about the same right? Maybe there are some discounts to be had by the carriers, but when I looked at the iPhone, it looked like you were paying for the whole cost anyhow. So it comes down to what you actually want. For me, I have been down the Galaxy road, didn't like it. Been down the Apple road too, actually did like it, but like the google apps and philosophy better. There is a good chance this phone will be something really good, I'm willing to take that gamble and check it out. If you are simply going on pricing and comparing it to the best, it is on par. Let's just hope that the hardware is also on par. To be honest, I will not be happy unless it compare favorably to the Iphone in overall performance.

LailaAK

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site

We won't know how verizon handles security updates for a few months (I'm sure the first one will be fast but then....)

were you goint to say "never" in your last sentence? :D :D :D

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
The upgrade option would be for the person deciding to get the S7 or Pixel. Not for someone upgrading every 6months. That 24hr live support with camera that is equal might sway them.

Several of these features including the Google Assistant are Pixel exclusive and won't be available on other current phones.

The moto z does not have the same quality camera as the Pixels. You're sacrificing in that aspect. However I don't believe the pixel is encouraging you to upgrade from other 2016 phones.

It was stated that ALL pixels will be updated directly by Google. No carrier involvement or delays.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The Moto z play has it free for 2 years....does the Pixel have two years or longer?

Anyway,after all promotions,my moto z play only cost me $20.

Toughmn

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to have to be one of the nay sayers for now. I've owned Nexus phones since the very first one with a few skips in generations. The software exclusives will eventually make it to other devices that are at lower price points. The reason many of the Nexus buyers bought the Nexus devices was due to the fact they got the updates quickly first. Stock Android was also nice and facilitated that. Hardware is fleeting. I still don't understand why they locked themselves to Verizon as a sole carrier for retail sales either. Hopefully, this temporary. For now, I'm going to wait and see how things play out.

justnivek

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Here's my 2 cents. (you are free to skip my post, it's just my opinion)

Apple sells because it's apple... they started a revolution and people love their products. Easy to use and very smooth/fluid experiance (I was an iPhone 4 user and man did I love that thing) so that = Brand name and Advertising and User Experiance

Samsung sells because people see a new awesome all around good phone (arguably the best that Android has to offer) awesome design/camera/screen. So that = Advertising and Design.

I have seen a lot more Samsung phones (since the launch of the S6) out in the wild... no where near the amount of iPhones but enough to make me notice.

What is google known for? if you ask 100 random people who makes "Nexus" or the 6P and what they are I don't think a lot of them will know what you are talking about. Was it an amazing phone? YES! of course! have I ever seen anyone in person using one? (I play a lot of poker and poker players usually leave their phones on the table while listening to music and stuff so I would say I see more of peoples phones in those days then normal)

the only places i've seen a Nexus 6P was at best buy on display, don't think i've ever seen a 5X anywhere.

My point is, does the phone justify the price tag or "value" as you put it? maybe. But I honestly don't think i'm gonna run into a friend that got one after it releases.

Google putting that big of a price tag on it while before being known to have "cheaper" phones than everyone else and not having (from what I see) a big impact in getting these phones into peoples hands... idk if google made that right play here.

Why should the average person get rid of lets say a 5X or a GS6... for storage? they could buy cloud storage and back up all they're photos (google photos actually lets you back them all up on any phone.... right? I think up to 16mp? videos i'm not sure) google assistant TO THE AVERAGE PERSON is mostly the same as google now... I am a tech lover and I honestly didn't see anything that mind blowing today that made my phone look obsolete... I think people will favor water proofing over photo backup and google assistant (which... might be coming to other android devices.... maybe even iOS?)

I saw some camera samples and they're impressive for a Google phone... I think my S6 camera is top notch tho (even better than the S7 for my uses anyway) I don't think anyones gonna run out to get it just for the camera itself.

(the 24/7 customer support thing is weird to me... I think the person that would buy a Pixel would be an android person and know how to use the device... it's like putting customer support on a microwave ready food... you buy it knowing it goes in the microwave what do you need customer support for? I think people that buy google branded phones Nexus or Pixel would know how to use android or they didn't know how to use Android but wanted to give it a try would give into the commercials and buy a samsung)

TL;DR

This is what I am getting to, I didn't see anything today to make me say I want this phone. If it was $400 it def would've peeked my interest... but at a whopping $649 its placing itself against the best of the best and it could be better but the average person doesn't know that. and honestly I think the phone design isn't the prettiest thing out there.

I think google did a WAYYYYYY better job last year. But then again I didn't buy one last year either.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not a samsung fan boy, my first smartphone was the iPhone 4 and then GSII>HTC One S> HTC One M7>Moto G>Xperia Z1 Compact>GS6)

(if nothing I said made sense I apologize it's been a long day and i'm very sleepy :/ )

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
It definitely is an interesting phone and I am tempted to try it. However, in the big picture, this is why I don't think it will be successful, at least in America.

1. Pixel is a dumb name for a phone. I know. It is just a name but in selling a good, the name matters. To me, naming it Pixel is like naming it fluffy bunny or pink pony.

2. The average consumer checks out a phone in person and likes to buy and get it in person. With it being a Verizon exclusive for carrier stores, the only place people will really see it is best buy. All they will see is a $649 price tag with no option to finance it over time.

3. The average consumer doesn't think about updates and a main feature of speaking to your phone is not going to be appealing. If you had no idea about updates and you compared the s7 to it, 9 out of 10 people are going to take the s7.

The camera is its biggest selling point to the average consumer but I don't believe the hype yet. They said 6p and 5x had amazing cameras. They were decent but not as good as the big players.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I just can't get past the price. I remember buying full price flagship phones two years ago that were $600 - $650. Now these are approaching $900 - $1,000 with tax. Why are phones getting more expensive? Every other piece of electronics or computers goes down in price over time, yet phones have gone up. I've got a 6P... I could buy two more for the price of one of these, and it's the best phone I've ever used.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
This is the phone i have been hoping google would bring for many years now and they finally did it.
Google need this to increase and diversify their revenue.
I am all up for it except few things.
I dont like the exclusive feature of pixel at least the voice assistant part. I have a nexus 6p and hope it gets it.

I am Ok with the price since they are also giving VR for free which is $80 worth of goodies although i wish they prices the Pixel $600 and XL $700 undercutting all premium manufacturers. That could have improved the sales of pixel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12