The Google Pixel is what you wanted, right?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Pixel is Google's vision of Android.

The Pixel line includes Google Assistant front and center, a high-quality camera, timely OS and security updates, with a high-quality build overall, and similar specs across two sizes. Also included, 24/7 live support, an easy way to move from iPhone, and the coveted 3.5mm headphone jack.

The only real differences between the two Pixels are: screen size, resolution, battery capacity.

This is the dream right?

Why can't the dream be similar in price to the S7 and Note 7, iPhones 7 and 7 Plus? Is Google not allowed to make money on hardware?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am fine with the price. I bought a Note 7 -- recall happened so I got my money back. I am now spending that on a 128 GB Pixel XL instead. No difference really. As you said -- I am getting the latest software, camera, Google assistance, etc.

Works for me :). It also works for WiFi calling on T-Mobile/Verizon and has all the bands for them so network wise it is up to par as well.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd be all over it right now if not for the price. I could understand it better if the XL were $649, but this is far more than I was expecting.

NexusShark

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I agree completely. Google has made a premium phone. Top of the line hardware for anything from 2016. Along with optimized software and a class competing camera. It could sit right next to any S7, Note 7 or iPhone 7 and the only difference would be someone's personal preference. At the base all else is equal. Price easily is justifiable

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree @Ry... The price is fine and the phone looks to be fantastic! I paid for one day delivery because I can't wait to get my grubby paws on it!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
These are the same people that wanted Google to build their own iPhone. They did. The Pixel and Pixel XL are it.

dustinfrank

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
For me the last few years, its been all about the camera. Seems that is one of the only differentiating factors left these days. If the camera is in the same league as my Samsung Galaxy S6, I would definitely be interested in making a change to try something different.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't going to order one, but had an old phone around the house that VZW would give me much more trade in credit than I could get at Swappa. I also like the features of the Pixel and it's promised security and other updates. Will keep my Z Play handy and use it as an entertainment device and backup for traveling.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
These are the same people that wanted Google to build their own iPhone. They did. The Pixel and Pixel XL are it.

For all the complaints about the Pixel there can be just as many for other phones..

Major Pixel complaints:

1. OMG Price
2. ugh bezels
3. wtf no SD card -- Did they actually expect one? Google does NOT do SD cards
4. Waterproofing -- I don't plan on scuba diving with it so I am probably good to go

Now lets compare it to Samsung using the same mentality

1. OMG no unlimited and free high res storage for photo and video
2. ugh no timely support and security updates.
3. wtf a full glass back that's a fingerprint magnet and a slippery mess
4. Snapdragon 820? Pffffft that's so yesterday! (I kid to make a point)

Build quality appears top notch on the Pixel and similar to the Galaxy S7. Cameras appears to be equal and maybe even better on the Pixel. Pricing is similar

All things being equal (but I think the Pixel is the better phone) why is it people are a-ok with Samsung selling the S7 for the current price of $670 but they storm Google HQ demanding heads when the Pixel is $650...

Sometimes you just have to scratch your head and shrug....

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Remember like it was yesterday when people complained that the 5x was cheaply made and they asked why didn't they just make a smaller premium model to match the big brother. " I'd be glad to pay more for that" lol I remember that line for some reason. Well..here it is guys!

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Remember like it was yesterday when people complained that the 5x was cheaply made and they asked why didn't they just make a smaller premium model to match the big brother. " I'd be glad to pay more for that" lol I remember that line for some reason. Well..here it is guys!

Yup...

People expect Google to make a $900 iPhone, Samsung and every other phone killer then sell it for $299 taking a loss on the phones.. When they don't? omg and ugh.. :D

Oh well... I guess it's what make the world go around..

tryallbyfire2

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I'll reserve my judgement until we can test it in the wild.. but I'm actually skeptical on this one... They tried the premium idea before with the nexus 6.. and it was overall meh.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I'd get the 5 incher if I was in need of a phone. Have 3 flagship devices already and just can't justify another. Going to enjoy living vicariously thru other forum members as they enjoy theirs tho for sure. Glad to see Google taking this step. FWIW, I paid $1059 for a Nokia E90 many moons ago. Crazy, I know. Lots of others on HoFo at the time paid even more to be early adopters. It's not the price of it, it's how badly you want it.

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
if one thing we can agree on is that google proved once again to be google haha i don't really have a closure argument but maaan i love that phone, who else's like wishing so so hard to win one of them at the androidcentral contest?

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit it only took a day for me to cave and order one. This is Google's new baby and life is too short not to become involved.

Plus I have wanted an HTC built Nexus ever since my original Nexus One. So what was I waiting for!? (c;

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
yeah the price does bother a bit, it is better than a nexus but still... i dont know

The price was almost an automatic as soon as they announced the name.. Google views the Pixel name differently... I had a 2013 Chromebook Pixel LTE and it was expensive. The price, throughout it's life never dropped a single cent! Now I have a 2015 Chromebook Pixel LS and it was equally expensive. The price also never dropped a single cent..

The Pixel C is more expensive than the Nexus tablets were and by Android tablet standards, it's pretty pricey as well. The top tier Pixel C did get a temporary $75 price drop a while back and to be honest, I was shocked when I saw that so I grabbed one up...

I wonder, but seriously doubt, if Google will offer the $200 discount for Fi service like they have done with the Nexus 5X and 6P... I do not think they will but I guess anything is possible.

The writing, pricing wise, was already on the wall as soon as we learned the new phones would be called a Pixel...

My .02

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The thread title is sort of an internet fallacy. Are the *same* people complaining?

See it all the time in stupid political debates. "Democrats/Republicans wanted X, now they have it and their complaining! Lolz!"

Or maybe you're talking about a large group of individuals with incompatible priorities...

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I'll reserve my judgement until we can test it in the wild.. but I'm actually skeptical on this one... They tried the premium idea before with the nexus 6.. and it was overall meh.

And... They tried the premium idea with the nexus 6P... and it was overall awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol