IP53 water resistant

ljbad4life

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
According to Droid Life, it is IP53 water resistant.. http://www.droid-life.com/2016/10/05/google-pixel-ip53-water-resistance/

It can't be submerged but it will handle some water spraying on it. Also, dust resistant..

Wish it was water resistant so it could be submerged, not that I ever need to be under water with my phone..

As phones got larger and Larger more people are taking them out of their pockets when they sit and leaving them on a surface (table, bar top, etc) then spilling a drink on them. I can't tell you the number of people I've seen ruin their phones that way at restaurants, bars and even at home. IP6X would prevent such damage. IP5X won't. That's a shame. It's better than nothing, but it could have been better for +650

I would never submerge my phone, but it would put my mind at ease if I didn't have to worry about the occasional accidental spill.

XCalibration17

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
As phones got larger and Larger more people are taking them out of their pockets when they sit and leaving them on a surface (table, bar top, etc) then spilling a drink on them. I can't tell you the number of people I've seen ruin their phones that way at restaurants, bars and even at home. IP6X would prevent such damage. IP5X won't. That's a shame. It's better than nothing, but it could have been better for +650

I would never submerge my phone, but it would put my mind at ease if I didn't have to worry about the occasional accidental spill.
I agree, I could see that. I try to be extra careful with all of my phones and rarely use it around water. I could see accidentally spilling a drink on it or even *gulp* dropping it into a toilet lol

Todd Simon

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I think water and dust protection are extremely useful features and I'm surprised more companies haven't opted for the higher IP68 or 67 to distinguish themselves from other manufacturers.

I'm fine with Pixel's water and dust resistance though. To me, this is a feature that puts a company over the top when comparing phones; it's not an end all be all.

kizz23

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Do these IP53 or IP67/8 specs make these phones also resistant to humidity? As a new dry sauna user I have been scared to bring my phone in to listen to music while relaxing. Is this possible with Pixel?

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Do these IP53 or IP67/8 specs make these phones also resistant to humidity? As a new dry sauna user I have been scared to bring my phone in to listen to music while relaxing. Is this possible with Pixel?

Humidity is a little more difficult, even a IP68 rated phone can have issues with humidity. I personally would be worried about taking any phone into a sauna even it it was rated at IP69K (which means you can essentially power wash it lol)

kizz23

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks pretty pricey phone and I want it to last as much as possible. Although its dry heat, I am weary of internal parts overheating or degrading over time. Maybe battery stop performing optimally from high heat. Its one thing on standby but with processing power from use and screen use. I assume it will get real hot.