100000:1, super contrast ratio
True black level
Full 24-bits depth or 16.77 million colors
Less than 40% brightness decrease at 30 degree viewing angle

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Updated: Confirming that their is an sRBG mode in the Pixel developer options like on the 6P, OnePlus 3, etc. I don't have equipment to measure it's accuracy and haven't received my Pixel XL yet to check that but I assume they're the same.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: iPhone vs Pixel XL...

If all you care about is whitesheets and benchmarks... OK. In reality, OLED has better brightness, contest ratio and battery life. Pixel xl wins.

That's literally not always true.

The things that you mentioned can actually be measured.

I care about color accuracy. Has there been any measurements done on the Pixel XL somewhere that I may have missed?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

The Note 7 has the best display. Not sure what Anandtech's agenda in that comparison is, but they are way off when it comes to brightness and only appear to be comparing LCD screens with contrast.
Galaxy Note7 OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

A few things:

Note 7 can't be used for comparison anymore. For anything. EVER

DisplayMate tested the Note 7 before the iPhone was out.

Anandtech doesn't have an agenda. They state how they measure and that's it.

Not sure why people dispute things that disagree with what their opinion is.

EDIT: Anandtech doesn't put AMOLED displays in the contrast ratio table because their contrast ratio is technically infinite. Any assigned number to AMOLED contrast ratio should be ignored.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

A few things:

Note 7 can't be used for comparison anymore. For anything. EVER

DisplayMate tested the Note 7 before the iPhone was out.

Anandtech doesn't have an agenda. They state how they measure and that's it.

Not sure why people dispute things that disagree with what their opinion is.

EDIT: Anandtech doesn't put AMOLED displays in the contrast ratio table because their contrast ratio is technically infinite. Any assigned number to AMOLED contrast ratio should be ignored.
How they measure is wrong. Saying the Note 7 maxes out at 533 nits is disingenuous at best and outright lying at worst.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

How they measure is wrong. Saying the Note 7 maxes out at 533 nits is disingenuous at best and outright lying at worst.

You need to measure AMOLED screens differently for this brightness test. As well as display the results differently since there is an average as it depends on how much of the screen is black/dark.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

How so? Turn auto off, max the slider. Seems pretty difficult to mess up.

Your numbers are also wrong. Are you just going from memory? Without boost it's 359, with boost it's 577.

And again, why are you using a device that has been recalled and can't be purchased as a comparison point?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

How so? Turn auto off, max the slider. Seems pretty difficult to mess up.

Your numbers are also wrong. Are you just going from memory? Without boost it's 359, with boost it's 577.

And again, why are you using a device that has been recalled and can't be purchased as a comparison point?
Yes, I was going off of memory. With auto on, the Note 7 gets almost 300 nits brighter than the iPhone 7. The Anandtech tests make no mention of that. Most people are going to use auto brightness.

Because the Note 7 has a better display.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

Not sure exactly how the Note 7 got brought up in the first place.

It's literally not even a thing that should be discussed or used as a point of comparison.

I am very curious to see how much attention Google pays to display calibration. The 6p in sRGB mode is good, so hopefully the Pixel is at least that good with color accuracy. Brightness could be better, but can you really ever have too much brightness?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Not that I want to get involved in the peeing contest, but here are some articles...

Galaxy Note7 has the highest nits of brightness according to DisplayMate - Android Advices

Note 7 maxes out over 1000.

Display - The iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus Review: Iterating on a Flagship

iPhone 7 Plus hit 618 for them.

But I do agree, Note 7 is dead. It CANNOT be compared to anything else. Ever. It was a complete and supreme failure. But the screen was nice and did actually hit over 1000 nits in sunlight.