Why no Gorilla Glass 5 on the Pixel phones?

mikerelvasr8

Feb 26, 2016
Visit site
I wonder why the Pixel phones don't have Corning Gorilla Glass 5, especially taking into account that they cost north of 700 bucks and they have glass in the rear too. Might not make much of a difference - a significant drop will most likely damage the phone anyway, but it would be nice to have the latest and greatest of everything since Google is aiming at that

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Sometimes the "latest" isn't always the "greatest". Read some of the Samsung forums about Gorilla Glass 5 scratching and shattering.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
There needs to be an official ban on the phrase "latest and greatest" too many people assume that something is better just because its newer

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
GG5 scratches more easily than GG4, it's the tradeoff for being less likely to shatter.

Also phones with GG5 have been known to catch fire. Coincidence? You decide....

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I've seen a couple videos that seem to show the GG5 scratch more easily than GG4 and maybe even GG3, so I'm okay with GG4. I normally use tempered glass anyway, so I'm not too worried about it.

davidb423

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Scratch test wise, I am glad someone posted the updated video. There was an issue with sharpening the mohs picks with a stone--the stone was mohs 8 rating that embedded in the picks, so it was scratching due to a testing error.

That being said I do believe gorilla glass said that it is a bit less scratch resistant but more shatter resistant--hence I did see a drop test with the note 7 that would still work after 50 drops.

Nor did it explode--on THAT series of tests...

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
GG5 scratches more easily than GG4, it's the tradeoff for being less likely to shatter.

Also phones with GG5 have been known to catch fire. Coincidence? You decide....

The GG5 scratching easily has been debunked. Quite a few times.

And the only phone with GG5 was the Note7. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Let's face it. Latest and greatest is always better. ALWAYS!!!!! Its just that for the price they usually command, the cost-advantage will usually not reflect it. The "latest and greatest" of anything are usually overpriced. Otherwise if money isn't a problem for you, well to be honest, always go with the "latest and greatest".. :D

bvarner6

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
The GG5 scratching easily has been debunked. Quite a few times.

And the only phone with GG5 was the Note7. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

GG5 does in fact scratch easily.

I work outside on sometimes really filthy vehicles. I've dropped my Note 7 out of vehicles a few times, which has resulted in a few small nicks in the screen, something that NEVER happened with my Note 4.

I also have quite a few hair scratches from something as insignificant as dirt on my hands from those dirty vehicles. Again, something that has never happened on my other Samsung devices.

Someone making a video showing a consistent increase in scratches in relation to increasing hardness of picks, then correcting it with some bs excuse does not necessarily debunk the GG5 softness. Why would someone make a follow-up correction video for a test he has done consistently on many different devices?

I trust my personal experience over internet videos.

GG5 glass does scratch easily.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
3 Note 7's... all rocked nekkid. All scratched really badly. Not a fan of GG5! Happy to "step back" to GG4! I trust my own experience over what the manufacturers tell you about how wonderful it is...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
The GG5 scratching easily has been debunked. Quite a few times. <snip>

To use an old phrase that my newspaper editor uncle used to say, "People who buy ink by the gallon" debunked it. My personal experience with 3 different Note 7 phones shows otherwise. I've scratched the heck out of all 3. I'm very careful, and had phones (like the GN4) for well over a year with fewer scratches.