Need advice on choosing a google Fi phone.

dazorange

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Hey all.
I'm planning on switching to google Fi but I'm not sure whether I should spend the extra money on a pixel $649 or save a bit and go with Nexus 6p which is at $399 now with Fi activation. $250 makes quite a difference.

I worry that Google might neglect the Nexus and that I'll save now but pay in the long run since it won't last as long. But I do like the bigger screen and lower cost.
With the pixel I like the new features and since it's cutting edge it will last longer, but because of the cost I'd be forced to go with the smaller one.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'd say it's worth it, but I'd also lean towards the XL over the regular Pixel and as you know, that's even more of a price difference. I still have a 6P and really like it.

dazorange

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Yes, the xl would be great. Unfortunately even regular is at my budget range. For that price I expect it to last me a while. Haha.
As for 6P, do you feel like it has more then another year in it? Or do you think in another year I'd have to get something new again.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the xl would be great. Unfortunately even regular is at my budget range. For that price I expect it to last me a while. Haha.
As for 6P, do you feel like it has more then another year in it? Or do you think in another year I'd have to get something new again.

There's only one concern that I have with the 6P for another year, and for MOST people it's one that won't matter. I currently believe that the 6P will not get Android Oreo or whatever 8.0 is called for two reasons that have to do with the SoC and how storage is partitioned. If getting that update is important, then I'd buy the Pixel knowing that it'll get it and be all gravy. If that's not a big deal and 7.x with monthly security updates is good enough for the next year or two, 6P is a solid bet.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
If you are comfortable stretching your budget, go for it. If not, don't. Only you know your $$s comfort level.
If you are "on the border line" - get the Pixel model you feel most comfortable with.
OR
Buy the XL and move on down the road with a big smile on your face and very little cash in your pocket. The older I get the more I am learning mature adult responsible thinking sucks - a lot - :D

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
If anyone else has suggestions feel free to share.

6P is great on Fi, and if you actually want a 6 inch phone I'd say go for it. The Pixel XL is almost twice the price.

But if you're like me and want a smaller phone, get the Pixel. $250 more ain't bad to avoid a one year old phone that is bigger than you're really comfortable with.

dazorange

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. Those are some sound thoughts.
Seems like the prevailing idea is to go with the pixel if I can afford it.
I have been mulling it over and think I'll just wait a bit longer. The phone I have is not dead yet and I was able to lower my bill a bit at Verizon. Now that I'm not locked into a long term contract I can still leave anytime. When I make the jump I think I will follow what you suggested and go with the pixel or maybe even the XL since I do like a larger phone. I'll check them out in person first.
Thanks

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Waiting is always a good option if it's not costing you to wait. The Pixel will come down at some point and you can snag it then. As others said, go for the XL.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc