Is it worth it?

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I had the same feeling before I preordered. I totally love the Note 7, best phone ever, except, you know, for the fires. I went through my options, which are limited by Verizon, and ended up here. I have to admit I am expecting to like it, not love it, but maybe it will surprise me. Then, maybe loving your phone isn't necessary as long as you can work with it for what you need. I think the Pixel xl will do, and I hope it will exceed that. We shall see.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm so confuse right now
either to buy or not to buy...
what's your opinion?

Is it worth it? Good question. Lets see, from a hardware side, no. Not that it's not going to be well built. It is. But it doesn't have a curved screen, doesn't feature an SD card slot, doesn't have double sim card capacity, the screen could be much better. Doesn't have a great audio player. From a software standpoint, you're getting googles new artificial intelligence and thats a big deal, a supposedly "best smartphone camera", but that'll have to be proven to me since I have a galaxy S7 EDGE, and believe me, the camera on the S7 and S7 Edge, will be hard to beat. Its more like the iPhone. Never has their been one that's truly anywhere worth their price. My son, daughter, and wife have the latest iphones and they swear by them. But they are not perfect phones by any standards. Battery life on an iPhone sucks. Why because Apple won't spend a penny more for a larger battery than they have to and they know their apple junkies don't care. Siri has been very poor understanding commands lately. And the reason apple enjoys it's place as the world's most valuable company, is simply that their products are way over priced. Even though I love Android phones, my home computers are macs. They're very good, but hundreds of dollars over priced. So I hope, before you buy a pixel, you compare what you are getting and ask again, is it worth it. And also look at what's coming down the pike. The galaxy S8 is going to be absolutely amazing. And it'll have VIV built in. If you haven't read about it you should. Its from the inventors of siri and will blow your mind. Actually looks better than Google AI.

Last edited:

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
if you have a phone older than 2 years, yes. It is worth it. Else you could live without this.
What if you owned the greatest phone ever made and had it yanked out from under you...

I ordered it, but I'm not sure how objectively I can assess it knowing what phone it isn't :(

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
Is it worth it? Good question. Lets see, from a hardware side, no. Not that it's not going to be well built. It is. But it doesn't have a curved screen, doesn't feature an SD card slot, doesn't have double sim card capacity, the screen could be much better. Doesn't have a great audio player. From a software standpoint, you're getting googles new artificial intelligence and thats a big deal, a supposedly "best smartphone camera", but that'll have to be proven to me since I have a galaxy S7 EDGE, and believe me, the camera on the S7 and S7 Edge, will be hard to beat. Its more like the iPhone. Never has their been one that's truly anywhere worth their price. My son, daughter, and wife have the latest iphones and they swear by them. But they are not perfect phones by any standards. Battery life on an iPhone sucks. Why because Apple won't spend a penny more for a larger battery than they have to and they know their apple junkies don't care. Siri has been very poor understanding commands lately. And the reason apple enjoys it's place as the world's most valuable company, is simply that their products are way over priced. Even though I love Android phones, my home computers are macs. They're very good, but hundreds of dollars over priced. So I hope, before you buy a pixel, you compare what you are getting and ask again, is it worth it. And also look at what's coming down the pike. The galaxy S8 is going to be absolutely amazing. And it'll have VIV built in. If you haven't read about it you should. Its from the inventors of siri and will blow your mind. Actually looks better than Google AI.

Here's the thing about "perfect phones" or the majority of "perfect" things for that matter: It doesn't matter what other people think, as long as whatever it is, is actually perfect for that individual and fulfills their wants.

I was very impressed with Samsung's Note 7, and it was my first Samsung cellular device. But we know how that turned out. It will take a device or two before I return to Samsung now.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Is it worth it? Good question. Lets see, from a hardware side, no. Not that it's not going to be well built. It is. But it doesn't have a curved screen, doesn't feature an SD card slot, doesn't have double sim card capacity, the screen could be much better.

Why in the world would you want a curved screen? That's just a gimmick "feature" that Samsung and LG use.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Why in the world would you want a curved screen? That's just a gimmick "feature" that Samsung and LG use.

Gimmick? To a point. It does have a quick reference though. And really it makes for a beautiful screen. Everything looks better. I almost didn't go for it until I did a side by side at a store.

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if this is necessarily the best place to ask given the natural bias of people who are protecting their purchasing decision.

Wait for the reviews and then you'll see!

Markxmlx

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Curved screens like the S7 Edge can make the body smaller while maintaining a larger screen, essentially eliminating bezels. I didn't realise that comfort was a gimmick.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Curved screens like the S7 Edge can make the body smaller while maintaining a larger screen, essentially eliminating bezels. I didn't realise that comfort was a gimmick.

I think its a gimmick since that, along with the glass back, makes it more fragile. Smartphones are prone to be dropped sometime and using a case determines it´s design was not properly developed. My opinion.

anon(8328984)

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Gimmick? To a point. It does have a quick reference though. And really it makes for a beautiful screen. Everything looks better. I almost didn't go for it until I did a side by side at a store.

I have played with curved screen devices since I used to work at an att store. The main problem I see with them, is how fragile they are. I can't tell you how many people have brought in broken curved screen devices.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I have played with curved screen devices since I used to work at an att store. The main problem I see with them, is how fragile they are. I can't tell you how many people have brought in broken curved screen devices.
Exactly what I was saying. And remember that the back is also made of glass.
Design is about looks and usability. It's just stupid a phone made entirely of glass.

shebamehr

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, it comes down to what you're looking in a phone. If you're looking for a more water resistant phone that supports samsung pay and curved screen, then obviously the Galaxy S7 Edge is a no brainer. If you don't care about those things and want the best that Google has to offer, I really think you can't go wrong with the Pixel. I'm optimistic we're going to see some really interesting things from Google when it comes to the Pixel line down the road...

PhilP72

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
I think it is!! Switching from my iPhone 6S plus to the Pixel Quite Black 128gb. Now just need to find a good android smart watch to replace the Apple Watch!! Any thoughts on a good watch?!

May 3, 2015
Visit site

It looks amazing...until you realize there isn't really a comfortable way to hold the phone without accidentally tapping the edge.