VZW 2-Year Contract Price - Highest I've Seen!

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a VZW grandfathered 2-year contract account that provides subsidized device pricing. Most new phones are still in the expected $199-$299 range for me. The N7 unexpectedly bounced-up to $349, but there were so many promos in place, I didn't mind.

I called VZW today and my subsidized price for the Pixel XL 128gb is $414! What??

Yikes.

As a former N7 owner (LOVED that phone), the Pixel is a step-down, but as of now, for me, it's the best choice for replacing my N7. Sure, the Pixel doesn't explode - haha - but that tired joke aside, the N7 totally slam dunks the Pixel on so many fronts. This makes is even more painful to think of spending that much for a subsidized device - more than my N7. Ugh...

Trying Best Buy next...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's up there, $870 for that version. Although I'm not sure why the Note was so much cheaper, since it's $864 - makes me think Samsung was subsidizing it slightly.

OUGrad05

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a VZW grandfathered 2-year contract account that provides subsidized device pricing. Most new phones are still in the expected $199-$299 range for me. The N7 unexpectedly bounced-up to $349, but there were so many promos in place, I didn't mind.

I called VZW today and my subsidized price for the Pixel XL 128gb is $414! What??

Yikes.

As a former N7 owner (LOVED that phone), the Pixel is a step-down, but as of now, for me, it's the best choice for replacing my N7. Sure, the Pixel doesn't explode - haha - but that tired joke aside, the N7 totally slam dunks the Pixel on so many fronts. This makes is even more painful to think of spending that much for a subsidized device - more than my N7. Ugh...

Trying Best Buy next...

Not sure how you can say a phone that isn't out and hasn't been tested is a step down? Arguably the camera is a step up, the display seems good and its unmolested android. No stylus though which is a major feature of the note...not sure it's a step down just because the feature set is different.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Yikes.

Trying Best Buy next...

For years there has been phones on contract for around$500 on Verizon... This isn't something new. The spread between retail and contract is usually $400-450 and this falls in the range.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I buy VZW phones every year, and I've never seen an on-contract, subsidized price exceed $299, except for the N7. I am just speaking from my experience, so I was surprised. It's eye-opening to hear that VZW has routinely offered $500 on-contract pricing.

Regarding a "step-down", I should have offered that this perspective is totally in my opinion, and totally based on what I've read and what I've seen with early hands-on reports. None of the things I consider less-than-awesome about the Pixel need to apply to anyone else. If you read the N7 forum here, the lack of a clear go-to phone is really apparent. N7 owners are moving to iPhones, LG V20s, going back to their N5s and some are buying Pixels. The reason the overwhelming majority of N7 users are not rushing to buy any one replacement phone is the perception that the N7 is kinda tough to match, on a lot of fronts. The Pixels screen-to-overall size ratio, large bezels, lack of sdcard, and more, are discussed ad nauseam in these other threads, so the notion of the Pixel falling short on some fronts is not a new one, nor is it only mine.

All that said, the Pixel XL is still my choice to move to. I like it better than the V20 - but all of this is based on pre-release info. Maybe when Best Buy offers the Pixel 128gb with their gift card promo, the move to the Pixel will be an easier one for me.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're probably used to looking at the base models of Android devices. Those with higher storage tiers, such as the iPhone 128 GB and iPhone 256 GB options and the Pixel XL 128 GB would be among the highest, being $869, $969 and $869 respectively. The iPhone 6s Plus was $419 for 64 GB and $519 for 128 GB and the 7 Plus is $419 for 128 GB and $519 for 256 GB.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the pricing chart, I think you'll be able to tell how Google decided to price these models:

2016-10-13.png

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
You're probably used to looking at the base models of Android devices. Those with higher storage tiers, such as the iPhone 128 GB and iPhone 256 GB options and the Pixel XL 128 GB would be among the highest, being $869, $969 and $869 respectively. The iPhone 6s Plus was $419 for 64 GB and $519 for 128 GB and the 7 Plus is $419 for 128 GB and $519 for 256 GB.

Ouch!
I was completely unaware!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I buy VZW phones every year, and I've never seen an on-contract, subsidized price exceed $299, except for the N7. I am just speaking from my experience, so I was surprised. It's eye-opening to hear that VZW has routinely offered $500 on-contract pricing.

Regarding a "step-down", I should have offered that this perspective is totally in my opinion, and totally based on what I've read and what I've seen with early hands-on reports. None of the things I consider less-than-awesome about the Pixel need to apply to anyone else. If you read the N7 forum here, the lack of a clear go-to phone is really apparent. N7 owners are moving to iPhones, LG V20s, going back to their N5s and some are buying Pixels. The reason the overwhelming majority of N7 users are not rushing to buy any one replacement phone is the perception that the N7 is kinda tough to match, on a lot of fronts. The Pixels screen-to-overall size ratio, large bezels, lack of sdcard, and more, are discussed ad nauseam in these other threads, so the notion of the Pixel falling short on some fronts is not a new one, nor is it only mine.

All that said, the Pixel XL is still my choice to move to. I like it better than the V20 - but all of this is based on pre-release info. Maybe when Best Buy offers the Pixel 128gb with their gift card promo, the move to the Pixel will be an easier one for me.

Note 7 was$300 on contract

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

The 6s plus 128gb was $500 on contract at launch. 64 was $400

May 3, 2015
Visit site

Yikes.

Trying Best Buy next...

That's a pretty standard price. What were you expecting?

FaTROBoT97

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Considering the iPhone 128gb is $399 on contract with the almost the same retail price it kind of falls in line. Plus Verizon does not want to sell 2yrs anymore. New customers don't have the option, only existing customers do. Been that way for a bit now.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes guys - as mentioned above, I was out-of-the-loop a bit on flagship prices.
I was swayed by the fact that my top of the line N5 was $299 and N7 was $349 on-contract. Wasn't aware that other flagships have routinely been upwards of $500.

So, the Pixel XL isn't absurdly priced on contract, it just caught me off-guard.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Considering the iPhone 128gb is $399 on contract with the almost the same retail price it kind of falls in line. Plus Verizon does not want to sell 2yrs anymore. New customers don't have the option, only existing customers do. Been that way for a bit now.

At$399 you can get an iPhone 7 256gb.

New customers can do two year contracts in stores... I have seen it offered on the current plan. Your line access charge will go up for 2 years if you did this on the current plan

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar