Pixel xl dac

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I was just wondering since the release of the phone is soon and I"m sure some special people have the phone, could someone write a review on how the DAC is?

If you don't know what a DAC is here is a explanation ( What is a DAC, and why should I care about having a good one? | Android Central)

The sound quality and how much power gets output from the phone is a big thing for me since I love listening to music a lot.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

flipbeats

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the n6p I'm just hoping it's better sounding then that. I felt like my HTC thunderbolt a long time ago sounded better. Also I'd they want to compete with Apple, I know apples soundcards or DAC in all the products they have are relatively good.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Aqstic audio is very basic ..it did not deliver on the Note 7

Different strokes I guess. My N7 audio was amazing IMO. I run FLACS into good earbuds and cans and even Sammy's BT in-ears were breathtaking. If the Pixel is at the same level, I will be extremely happy.

scoupdogg

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
bluetooth is different man , we are talking about DAC digital to analogue, how it will convert digital audio to analogue, as in the Vibrations in your speakers ;).
PS qualcomm have a pretty bad rep for audio, they probably just made 192/24bit for the Sake of name (to the other guy this has nothing to with loudness, loudness is how good built in amp is, and *warning* its not).
cirrus logic/Wolfson or audience would probably kick the **** out of it... too bad pixel didn't get audience (It too great for listening/natural language processing while screen off, pixel hasen't got good reviews on listening while screen off (heads up, it does.))
Phew too many braces.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
According to Phone Arena, the DAC in the Pixel/Pixel XL is wimpy.
Google Pixel XL Review - Camera and Multimedia

They didn't mention it... at all. They said the output power of the headphone port was low in Volts, but the DAC isn't mentioned at all, nor is audio quality through headphones. A high quality DAC corresponds, in terms of power, to the ability to quickly, accurately and dynamically change between different voltages to produce highly accurate replication of the source data. There's not really a 1 to 1, or anything resembling it, correlation between the amount of power going into it and the quality of the sound, as long as you pass a certain threshold to be able to get sufficient volume to the speakers.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Good place to start: https://www.qualcomm.com/news/snapdragon/2016/10/04/pixel-phones-made-google-powered-snapdragon-821 :)

The power of the Snapdragon 821 processor extends into the Pixel smartphones’ audio capabilities through stunning Hi-Fi audio playback. The phone features the Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec, designed to deliver high dynamic range and high-resolution playback up to 192kHz/24bit to create a remarkable audio experience designed to match the demands of the modern audiophile.

So is this better than the 820? The sound quality is just ok on my S7

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
They didn't mention it... at all. They said the output power of the headphone port was low in Volts, but the DAC isn't mentioned at all, nor is audio quality through headphones. A high quality DAC corresponds, in terms of power, to the ability to quickly, accurately and dynamically change between different voltages to produce highly accurate replication of the source data. There's not really a 1 to 1, or anything resembling it, correlation between the amount of power going into it and the quality of the sound, as long as you pass a certain threshold to be able to get sufficient volume to the speakers.

I posted this with concerns about volume, not sound quality. Apparently, some people are saying the Pixel's sound output is on the quiet side.

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I asked Andrew about the DAC on Twitter. He responded that his ears can only tolerate about 70% of the volume and quality is HTC 10 like which obviously makes sense.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Got a little bored today and put together all of phone arenas data on their 300+ devices they've tested.

9b75b10d2859defb3140a416b1abcf8c.jpg

So this is the frequency of phones having an output in the ranges listed on the x axis.

Clifton Richie

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, but apparently if you want to use headphones like my Audio Technica ATX-M50X headphones, you have to really crank the volume to like 80%.

I dumped all my money into towers but my Bose in ear buds sound good. I forget the model but they are the ones Best Buy has on display in the fancy case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463