Pixel XL or V20?

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I was also going back and forth between the LG v20 and Pixel XL. Originally, I was leaning toward the LG v20. It's been many years since I've had an LG phone, but my experience was not good; even still the v20 piqued my interest...

But, I also know that as soon as the Note 8 comes out, I'm dumping whatever I'm using and going back to Sammy. So, the pragmatic side of me kicked in and realized that for me, resale value should be considered.

Since this is the first Google phone, there's no history for resale value. However, Android Central did a comparison on resale value and the LG G5 was the worst. There's probably nothing more than psychology involved here, but the Google name carries some clout.

Which smartphones retain their resale value the best?

The specs weren't enticing enough one way or the other to make me really excited either, so I went with Brand Name... Google Pixel XL it is.

Maybe that's a stupid reason to make a final decision on a phone... but I *suspect* it will have a bit better resale value, and appeal to a broader base of people, making it easier for me to sell.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
does anyone know if the pixel is water resistant?

It is not, and neither is the V20. The V20 isn't because of the removable battery. Not sure why the Pixel isn't.

IP63... which basically means, "Nope".

It is certified with an IP53 rating. This isn't a particularly strong rating, but it's a whole lot better than the vast majority of other handsets out there that lack any certification whatsoever.

According to Wiki (fwiw), "Water falling as a spray at any angle up to 60° from the vertical shall have no harmful effect, utilizing either: a) an oscillating fixture, or b) A spray nozzle with a counterbalanced shield. Test a) is conducted for 5 minutes, then repeated with the specimen tilted 90° for the second 5-minute test. Test b) is conducted (with shield in place) for 5 minutes minimum."

Ok for being caught in normal rain with your phone out (and fine if you do what most normal people do and pocket their phone or use an umbrella). Don't go swimming with it.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
It is certified with an IP53 rating. This isn't a particularly strong rating, but it's a whole lot better than the vast majority of other handsets out there that lack any certification whatsoever.

Wow... just a few days ago, I could have SWORN it was IP63. (yes, I realize the first digit has to do with dust, not water) but now I go back and it's IP53... It's the Mandela effect! LOL! thanks for the correction. But I'm stepping down from a note 7 with IP68, and I live on a river and work on a dock, so it is actually kind of a big deal for some of us... <sigh>

Google should have come out of the gate with this...

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
But, I also know that as soon as the Note 8 comes out, I'm dumping whatever I'm using and going back to Sammy.

I thought I was in the same boat as you. But after my recent N7 experience with Samsung I am not really sure I'll go back. Even though I loved the N7 and my N5 at the time, it refreshing to unexpectantly escape the Samsung ecosystem. I am really looking forward to returning to the Googleverse, as I was a Nexus fan prior.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was in the same boat as you. But after my recent N7 experience with Samsung I am not really sure I'll go back. Even though I loved the N7 and my N5 at the time, it refreshing to unexpectantly escape the Samsung ecosystem. I am really looking forward to returning to the Googleverse, as I was a Nexus fan prior.

I do hear you, but... S-pen... IP68... and I really loved those Edge screens & notifications... and the S-pen. There's also the S-pen. If someone can give me something like the S-pen, I might stay away... But the S-pen has kept me with Sammy from the Note 2.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to known why there aren't any real reviews for either of the phones yet. It's really strange.

Typically there is an embargo date for the reviewers. They all get released at once generally. Usually at midnight on whatever day they are allowed to release them ..

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I was looking at possibly getting the v20, but chose the Pixel XL. The v10 and G5 had boot loop issues, screen burn-in, and I have never loved their software. However, I like the removable battery, audio experience, and the camera. Still, I have more faith in HTC/Google to make a device without major problems, so I took the plunge. Was it the right decision? I'll let you know after I get it.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Thoughts?

Kind of like going to a Ford Mustang forum asking what their thoughts on the Camaro are? :p

Typically there is an embargo date for the reviewers. They all get released at once generally. Usually at midnight on whatever day they are allowed to release them ..

This. Think I read something that the Pixel embargo expires Wed?

I was looking at possibly getting the v20, but chose the Pixel XL. The v10 and G5 had boot loop issues, screen burn-in, and I have never loved their software. However, I like the removable battery, audio experience, and the camera. Still, I have more faith in HTC/Google to make a device without major problems, so I took the plunge. Was it the right decision? I'll let you know after I get it.

The direct updates & 24/7 support link for the Pixel should also be factored in. Have never purchased an LG device, so have no idea how their customer service is. But would have to think Googles service would prevail here. https://madeby.google.com/phone/support/

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

There for sure is with the Pixel, not as sure on the V20 - but I know that the units that people initially got to play with after the announcement were not final hardware or software, which means a review of it wouldn't give us much information.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I am sure both will be good choices. My backup is a 6P and I have never owned an LG device so I went with LG. I bought the HTC 10 for similar reason, the DAC. It is not smoke and mirrors and the sound of the HTC 10 was phenomenal. I presently use my 6P, crappy audio. Again understand I have an AK DAP that I paid 1000+ for, so it is kinda my thing. I also have many iem's and headphones, with the B&O they are offering as the lesser quality pair, so I will probably sell those. I also listen to a lot of lossless files and stream Tidal. It is nice to have storage(sd) to store my music on. I understand they have a 128gb version which you are paying 120.00 for. I just sold an EVO + 256gb U3 card for 130.00.

I love the Nexus line, particularly the 6P, so I am sure the Pixel will be good. I would have been more excited if Huawei was the manufacturer but they declined. If you want quicker updates, realistically think of how many actual updates there are, I would choose Google. Without reviews, the features are underwhelming, when comparing to a Note7 price/feature ratio.

In my mind, it is better to pay a restocking fee than be stuck with a device I don't want. If need be I will return the V20 and order the Pixel. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of new phones out there that grabbed me.

JaboSan

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm coming from an LG G3, I've pretty much narrowed it down to the V20 or Pixel XL. Two main things I'm worried about on the V20 are the ugly UI/ lack of updates and the battery. I just don't understand how you can have this multimedia powerhouse with a huge screen, plus an extra ticker display and skimp on the battery. Decisions, decisions

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
While I hear that the V20 is MUCH MUCH better, my brother does nothing but complain about his V10. I don't think he will ever buy LG again. So based on that I would say Pixel. I went Pixel myself. :)

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Your asking this in a Pixel forum. You'd get a lot more V20 support if you asked this same question in the V20 thread.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
In all honesty... Neither.

What would matter to me if these were the only good choices available (which they aren't) would be if I was buying outright or if financing it.

See I will never buy a phone through my carrier ever again.. I am tired of being screwed by their dishonest and poor billing practices. However if you are stuck with doing so to pay for your phones.. I would get the pixel and finance it straight from Google.

I don't like the ui of the LG and feel the second screen is a wasted effort. The camera and audio is very good, but if like the g4 or the v10 before it will come at a heavy cost of battery life. Also if you are getting it from AT&T.. You most likely won't be able to get into the factory recovery since they locked it out with the v10 and you'll be waiting for updates.

The Pixel is unknown right now and there just isn't enough of them in the wild to decide on them.