Pixel fares better than the Pixel XL on heavier days!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I was perusing the Android Central review and was really shocked to hear this!

I realize the XL has a larger screen and QHD but even then I was expecting the opposite or at worse for them to be equal due to the significant battery bump.

df988957980edd4798bac8f8efe4ce1a.png

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps it's due to the smaller, lower-resolution display offsetting the difference in capacity? I don't think that's the case, though.

Maybe Alex didn't use it as much?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I didn't think about it to expect that, but it actually does make sense. Same SOC pushing less pixels on a smaller display should mean more SOT with very similar ability to standby.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I didn't think about it to expect that, but it actually does make sense. Same SOC pushing less pixels on a smaller display should mean more SOT with very similar ability to standby.

That's kind of interesting.... because I would have expected that the QHD panels to have matured enough so that it shouldn't be that significantly less efficient.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think it also depends of the person using it. what kind of app it's installed, location of the person. If you read the verge 2 reviews by Dieter on the XL and Mossberg on the regular pixel. Dieter actually said the XL has the best battery of any Android phone he ever used, but Mossberg said the regular pixel battery isn't so good. Android Police also said the XL battery is on par with the S7 Edge, and that's saying a lot too. So far, most reviews said the XL battery is pretty good.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I would have to go back and look but I know other reviews have said the opposite. I think part of the problem is there hasn't been enough time for one person to compare both phones. And even then it won't be identical use. So far battery tests seem to be showing the Pixel XL lasting better but who knows how that compares to real-world use. So far I'm not thrilled by the results as iPhone 7 still seems to beat it buy a decent amount. We will see how the Pixel fairs once I get it.

Rocky5000100

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Some reviews say the Pixel has better life, some the XL. It's hard to say without an exact controlled test.

Either way, it sounds like these phones have good life.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I would have to go back and look but I know other reviews have said the opposite. I think part of the problem is there hasn't been enough time for one person to compare both phones. And even then it won't be identical use. So far battery tests seem to be showing the Pixel XL lasting better but who knows how that compares to real-world use. So far I'm not thrilled by the results as iPhone 7 still seems to beat it buy a decent amount. We will see how the Pixel fairs once I get it.

I remember some other reviewers saying the opposite as well.

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it also depends of the person using it. what kind of app it's installed, location of the person. If you read the verge 2 reviews by Dieter on the XL and Mossberg on the regular pixel. Dieter actually said the XL has the best battery of any Android phone he ever used, but Mossberg said the regular pixel battery isn't so good. Android Police also said the XL battery is on par with the S7 Edge, and that's saying a lot too. So far, most reviews said the XL battery is pretty good.

Mossberg lives and breathes Apple products. Discount his review.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
That's kind of interesting.... because I would have expected that the QHD panels to have matured enough so that it shouldn't be that significantly less efficient.
The display technology isn't the issue. The GPU is pushing twice as many pixels to that display. The processor is doing more work to run that resolution so it will require more energy.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

But the fact that it has a larger battery would negate that. I personally think he either mis-spoke or didn't have conclusive information.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
But then this was said in the same review,

"Daniel Bader has been using the smaller Pixel for the past week, and has found its performance generally good, though more susceptible to battery drain from heavy usage."

"As long as you're willing to top up the phone once or twice a day, even for a few minutes, the smaller Pixel's battery life should be fine, but if you're a truly avid user — and who among us isn't? — then the Pixel XL, or a diminutive battery pack close at hand, is probably a better option."

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
But the fact that it has a larger battery would negate that. I personally think he either mis-spoke or didn't have conclusive information.
Not necessarily. It is totally possible that the battery increase isn't large enough to compensate for the increased energy requirement of running at twice the framerate.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
So I've had the smaller Pixel since the 5th, so longer than the review units BUT theirs run retail software and mine does not. Small Pixel gets battery life very near to the 6P, little bit better. My problem is not having an XL to compare it to.

Vs the 6p it handles poor cellular signal strength much better.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pixel XL also is apparently much brighter according to reviews, so that'd make another difference on screen battery usage.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yay, Pixel :D I guess it is the screen .
As long as I make it though the day,, that works fine with me . I am 99.99% sure it will do that for me. :)