The design "why's"

J_Bone

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Over the past few weeks there have been a lot of talk about the design and certain features or lack thereof. Not looking to start a whine thread, just curious about the engineering and why some choices were made.

As I understand it, the glass on the back is for reception and nfc. Whether you like the look or not, that at least makes sense. One of the biggest omissions is significant waterproofing. Isn't one of the main hurdles for waterproofing getting rid of a removable battery? I know there are other ports and more to it but if that is a biggie and you aren't going the water proofing route with the design, why not include a removable battery with this iteration?

The lack of a second speaker on the bottom front... Is it a space thing? Cost? With the love for the dual speakers on the 6p, I am assuming there is a significant reason they didn't include it.

Again, just curious about the choices from an engineering standpoint and not a whiney one.

Thanks guys.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
The only design I care about is what's on the screen..and from what I've seen, it's amazing. I don't consider my phone a fashion statement.

I do find it hilarious though that people say in the same breath that the iPhone is so beautifully designed, the pixel looks like an iPhone, and the pixel is boring. Which is it???

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I think we'll get a better idea after a tear down, but I assume there is very little to no open space inside. If that is the case, then Google obviously choose something over the dual speakers. As for water resistance/proofing... I can't think of any good reasons why this was omitted and imagine future Pixels will have this. Removable battery?!?! I get people still want this, but its a dying breed and really a non-issue for me and probably the same thought to most manufacturers.

For a first attempt, I think they did a solid job. As someone who has bounced around different smartphone and OSes, I'm really hoping Google grows from here, but really like their introduction enough to jump in now.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The only design I care about is what's on the screen..and from what I've seen, it's amazing. I don't consider my phone a fashion statement.

I do find it hilarious though that people say in the same breath that the iPhone is so beautifully designed, the pixel looks like an iPhone, and the pixel is boring. Which is it???
Me personally I dislike the iPhone's design especially in white(the bezels are hideous). I feel the same about the pixel. Although I don't buy phones for how they look aesthetically it would've nice to see Google use a ground breaking design for their first phone. Kind of how the g1 was it became the first ever android phone to he released.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: The design "why's"

just curious about the choices from an engineering standpoint

I am not sure it was engineering that made these choices. If you look at the current lineup of HTC phones you'll notice...

They aren't waterproof.

They do not have dual front facing speakers.

They have a big chin, where they place physical buttons.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

I agree, I doesn't mind about the exterior, I am much more interested with the UI part than the hardware part.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc