NY TImes reviewer doen't think much of the Pixel XL...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I've heard that argument, but no one ever seems to mention that FPS is not required to unlock the phone. Sure its quicker, but not required. Personally, i'm not sure how I feel about the location yet, but the FPS on the S7E was crap for me, so any improvement at this point would be welcome.

Of course.

But if locked on a desk with screen side up, which method is faster?

Pressing the front FPS.
Waking the screen, entering your PIN or pattern
Picking up the phone, press the rear FPS

For a lot of people, a front FPS is more convenient.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
For me I have never used a phone with the fingerprint sensor on the back, so that will be an adjustment. There are a ton of times I turn on and use the phone while it is on my desk, so not sure how that will work for me.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Of course.

Pressing the front FPS.

There are some valid points here.

But, this is not what Brian Chen complained about.

The Pixel's fingerprint sensor, for unlocking the phone, is annoyingly on the back of the device rather than on the front. So when your on the go, you will probably be using two hands - one to hold the phone and the other to place your fingerprint on the back - to unlock the Pixel.

I don't know of anyone that does it that way. As others have stated, it (picking up the phone and unlocking it with your fingerprint) is a one-hand operation. I can't even imagine what Brian is trying to do with his two hands but, clearly, he has not given it a fair chance.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
There are a ton of times I turn on and use the phone while it is on my desk, so not sure how that will work for me.

What I have done with my 6P is to get a tiny little stand I set it in, which easily allows me to access the imprint scanner (also makes it easier to look at the phone).

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Of course.

Pressing the front FPS.

I get it, and even mentioned that it was faster. Just saying that people keep saying you have to pick it up, when you don't.

In that scenario it is a convenience, however in others it can be a hindrance. I found trying to use one hand to hold and use the FPS on my S7e resulted in a lot of bad scans (part of this being the S7E's FPS sucking, at least compared to the iPhone). I imagine scanning from the back is a lot more natural hand/finger position.

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
After reading this article, like many of you mention, this is a pure Apple fan. While I do agree with some of what he said but overall the review was biased. At the end, referring someone to purchase an iPhone? I mean you could have mentioned other brands too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
After reading this article, like many of you mention, this is a pure Apple fan. While I do agree with some of what he said but overall the review was biased. At the end, referring someone to purchase an iPhone? I mean you could have mentioned other brands too.

If you don't want any bias, just read the spec sheet.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

AbAll87

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
If you don't want any bias, just read the spec sheet.

While I usually agree with that. I have learned the hard way that phones need good specs but at the end it all comes down to the software!!! At the end this is why I am over the phone not having wireless charging and is not waterproof.

I am planning to make my final decision on more reviews. Reviewers testing the phone handling lots of and hard tasks.

Oh also, I am in wonderland, I'm hoping a big discount from Google :D!!

mzanette

Zee
Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
The article is written like a true Apple fanboy. They dismiss anything the iphone doesn't have. Case in point waterproofing.........apple fans dissed waterproofing on any Android phone that has it. UNTIL the iphone 7 has it and now YouTube is full of iphone 7 videos in the shower....

So true. When waterproof phones first came out with Android it was the cry of "pfffft, gimmick" from the Apple crowd. Now that iPhone has it they suddenly invented waterproofing or iPhone somehow does it better.

Re-read that NY Times article, I doubt this guy spent more than 20 minutes with the Pixel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn