Google needs to up the ante on TV spots

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Last night Apple took the TV ad battle up a notch with a dramatic, noirish, well photographed, well edited ad to push the iPhone's waterproofiness. Punishing ominous rainstorm outside, superhero fit athlete (clearly representing your average suburban athlete... in his frickin dreams) and a punchline to tell you that you know which phone to buy cuz it gets wet outside and the weather ain't all sunshine and handclaps.

Up against that, I saw 2 different versions of the same happy-recycle-a-cool-pop-song-while-a-search-bar-slowly-morphs-into-a-cutesy-photo-with-an-allegedly-meaningful-tagline commercial for the new Pixels. Still no specific information about the phone or any specific reason for buying it beyond the colorful G that ends the commercial.

If I weren't already an Android fan and invested in the G's ecosystem, it's the iPhone that would be stuck in my mind. Subtle don't move product.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, at least they are marketing it well, meaning there are a ton of commercials for it. But I do agree, hopefully they can make some better ones. Show off google assistant would be a great easy to make commercial.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Thank gawd for word of mouth! I've seen 3 Pixel commercials that left me with the *WTH was that about* feeling.............:eek:

jd78

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I cut the cord years ago so I didn't even know there was a commercial until I was at my Dad's house the other day and the Pixel came up in conversation. I think Google of all companies should be able to come up with other methods of advertising. I would love to see the Google.com page changed on launch day, but not to an ad, but something along the lines of what they do for special days, moments in history, etc.

plumcrazy

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
i cant imagine caring what google does with advertising, im buying one tomorrow regardless. Dont care about the fight for iphone buyers...

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Last night Apple took the TV ad battle up a notch with a dramatic, noirish, well photographed, well edited ad to push the iPhone's waterproofiness. Punishing ominous rainstorm outside, superhero fit athlete (clearly representing your average suburban athlete... in his frickin dreams) and a punchline to tell you that you know which phone to buy cuz it gets wet outside and the weather ain't all sunshine and handclaps.

Up against that, I saw 2 different versions of the same happy-recycle-a-cool-pop-song-while-a-search-bar-slowly-morphs-into-a-cutesy-photo-with-an-allegedly-meaningful-tagline commercial for the new Pixels. Still no specific information about the phone or any specific reason for buying it beyond the colorful G that ends the commercial.

If I weren't already an Android fan and invested in the G's ecosystem, it's the iPhone that would be stuck in my mind. Subtle don't move product.

They are advertising it great. People don't care about cameras or waterproofing when they are being exposed to it. The fact that Google is the world's largest search engine is advertising enough. They are saying, "Hey, you've heard of Google, now check out this phone made by the same people."

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Google needs a celebrity endorsement or two. They should have partnered with AT&T and given people a free season of NFL Direct Ticket with purchase of a Pixel (and or whatever).

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Unfortunately, it's no contest. Google's ad is laid back while Apple's grabs your attention. Also, the music. Cutesy pop music versus AC/DC. Easy win for Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084