Ambient Display Not Working

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Is anybody having issues with Ambient Display? My screen remains blank for notifications and screen stays dark when I pick it up. Ambient Display is on in screen settings and notifications are set to show all.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Is anybody having issues with Ambient Display? My screen remains blank for notifications and screen stays dark when I pick it up. Ambient Display is on in screen settings and notifications are set to show all.

It seems to be a feature, not a bug, that ambient display does not turn on when you pick up the phone. It only turns on when a notification comes through. I personally like it more this way, but that's just me.

Not sure why yours isnt turning on when notifications come in. Mine seems to be working fine. Possibly try rebooting?

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site
It seems to be a feature, not a bug, that ambient display does not turn on when you pick up the phone. It only turns on when a notification comes through. I personally like it more this way, but that's just me.

Not sure why yours isnt turning on when notifications come in. Mine seems to be working fine. Possibly try rebooting?

Tried rebooting and turning it off in settings and turning it back on. May try factory reset later today if I can't come up with a different solution.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Not yet. I can't do Phone support at the moment and Chat support isn't available as an option on the phone right now. May be a time thing for the Chat.

Actually, do you have a screen protector on your phone?

if the phone is in your pocket, the proximity sensor will detect that and it doesnt fire the ambient display when you get a notification. If you have something covering your proximity sensor it will keep the ambient display from coming on, i just tested by holding my finger over it while sending myself a test email. If you are using a display protector it may be interfering with that sensor.

Daniel Padilla

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Finally got it to work after factory reset. Still don't like that Ambient doesn't work when you pick up the phone. Feels like a step backward for me.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Finally got it to work after factory reset. Still don't like that Ambient doesn't work when you pick up the phone. Feels like a step backward for me.

Glad you got it working! Yeah, some people wont like that, I personally think its fine, it never worked right on the 6p. It turned on at times it shouldnt and never turned on when it should have. Who knows, it could be a bug in the software after all.

voipben

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Is anybody having issues with Ambient Display? My screen remains blank for notifications and screen stays dark when I pick it up. Ambient Display is on in screen settings and notifications are siet to show all.

Having this issue as well. Good to know factory reset might fix it, but if anyone else finds a less painful solution, please share. Thanks.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
My display comes on when I get a new message, but only for about 5 seconds then goes dark again. Is it suppose to stay on?

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
So it's only useful if you're right by your phone when it goes on? Then have to react to it within that 5 second window? If that's the way it's suppose to work then why bother at all? Tell me I got that wrong. That's about as useful as a midget with a yo-yo.

kramerica5

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I could not agree more. This was my favorite feature of my 3 year old Moto X. I was already on the fence about the size increase. A lack of true ambient display may be cause to return.

kramerica5

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
After 4 hours of use, I have made my decision. Going back to my original Moto X. It is the perfect phone for me. Perfect size, plus moto display, which is BY FAR, my favorite feature of any phone ever. Will sell my slightly used Pixel on swappa for a slight markup. Supply and demand.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Gravity app seems decent, but I'd like to see an OAD app, or 'breathing' display app. Ideally one that played nice with Gravity.

Amazing that Moto got it right years ago.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol