What are your current gripes with the Pixel / XL?

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anyone can argue with this....
Why cant anyone argue with that? People pay that much for a premium phone. Its the going rate. Or you can not buy it. But Apple and Samsung have proven that that is how you make money on phone hardware. Premium product with a premium price. The low end game is not profitable.

Last edited:

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I am switching from the iPhone, and so far I really like the Pixel. My ONLY complaint is a feature missing that I often actually used on the iPhone. Basically, with force touch on the iPhone, you can hard press down on the keyboard, and it basically becomes a little trackpad that allows you to move the cursor like a mouse pointer. This is an EXTREMELY useful feature to quickly and highly accurately position the text cursor exactly where you want it.

I wish that there was something like this on the pixel. (maybe there is and I am missing it?)

I agree. To me the force touch trackpad thing is the best thing about the force touch screen. I do love that. And no. There is nothing like it on Android phones. Not a deal breaker to me but very useful.

Last edited:

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks. I remember now how to get there. You have to hold down the settings cog until it starts spinning, and then it will show up where you showed. Thanks!
Ok, I know this is dumb, but the little cog up in the corner? Cause I can't get it to do anything but open the regular settings and I really want to get into the system tuner. Anyone have a suggestion for what I am doing wrong? Thanks.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I know this is dumb, but the little cog up in the corner? Cause I can't get it to do anything but open the regular settings and I really want to get into the system tuner. Anyone have a suggestion for what I am doing wrong? Thanks.
Have you opened developer options yet? You have to do that first. If you haven't then you have to go to settings,then about phone and the tap build number 7 times. It will then tell you you are a developer. Then you should be able to long press on the little cog in the corner to open up the system settings. Go back into settings all and there will be an option for it. Hope this helps

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I am unimpressed with the Pixel and will be returning it. This was my first choice after being forced out of my Note 7 that I loved. I looked past it not having an SD card, I looked past it not being water/dust proof, the smaller screen and the smaller battery. Gave gave it a try and after 24hrs Verizon can have it back.
I don't like the bare bones android, I saw spoiled with TouchWiz, the cell service is absolutely horrible! I use to spend literally hrs a day talking on my Note from my office, now I cant even dial out. Then today the final straw, the bluetooth will not connect to my car, it connected to my wifes car and my BT headset but not to my F-ing daily driver.
I will back back on my Note 6 before the end of the day.

If it doesn't connect to my car, that will be a deal breaker for me. I have a Nexus 6 tablet, which I really like, although not as much as my Samsung phones (especially the Note 7), so I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about whether I should have just stuck with Samsung and gotten the S7Edge, which I had for a loaner. Maybe I just shouldn't be reading this thread, lol, but it sounds like the Bluetooth issue w/ regards to connecting to a car, is cropping up quite a bit. I'm also hoping it will connect to my Gear S2 watch, which in addition to Samsung, is supposed to connect with other Android phones (I think).

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Have you opened developer options yet? You have to do that first. If you haven't then you have to go to settings,then about phone and the tap build number 7 times. It will then tell you you are a developer. Then you should be able to long press on the little cog in the corner to open up the system settings. Go back into settings all and there will be an option for it. Hope this helps

Thanks! I think I skipped that when setting up.!

Kaenon11

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
If it doesn't connect to my car, that will be a deal breaker for me. I have a Nexus 6 tablet, which I really like, although not as much as my Samsung phones (especially the Note 7), so I have to admit that I'm a little concerned about whether I should have just stuck with Samsung and gotten the S7Edge, which I had for a loaner. Maybe I just shouldn't be reading this thread, lol, but it sounds like the Bluetooth issue w/ regards to connecting to a car, is cropping up quite a bit. I'm also hoping it will connect to my Gear S2 watch, which in addition to Samsung, is supposed to connect with other Android phones (I think).

I am unimpressed with the Pixel and will be returning it. This was my first choice after being forced out of my Note 7 that I loved. I looked past it not having an SD card, I looked past it not being water/dust proof, the smaller screen and the smaller battery. Gave gave it a try and after 24hrs Verizon can have it back.
I don't like the bare bones android, I saw spoiled with TouchWiz, the cell service is absolutely horrible! I use to spend literally hrs a day talking on my Note from my office, now I cant even dial out. Then today the final straw, the bluetooth will not connect to my car, it connected to my wifes car and my BT headset but not to my F-ing daily driver.
I will back back on my Note 6 before the end of the day.

Any luck with BT and connecting to your car?
My mom is having the same issue.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a pre-order in so I don't have mine yet, but I know my biggest gripe will be no wireless charging. Now I have over $100 worth of chargers at work and home doing nothing. For almost $1000 after tax, this really should have been included.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I just don't understand what people actually store that much of with cloud services available.
Not everyone does the cloud. I just put 17 gb of music, collected over many many years, on my 128 gb XL. Much of it is not easily available to stream, and there is no streaming service I like anyway. Many of the files are flac. I don't understand how anyone can get along for 2 years with 32 gb. So you know, to each their own.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
How that number does not compute... that would mean the 32 gig is 599

Yeah. According to Apple site 256 gb iPhone 7 plus is 969

I feel like the pixel is getting some unfair hate due to the price. Many people think it's too expensive, so they want to find reasons to justify it.

While you compare with iPhone 7 it really only the water resistant that the iPhone has over the pixel. But ppl don't talk about the higher resolution, or the fact that pixel's screen is 0.3 inch larger than the regular iPhone. Or how much you would have to pay for unlimited storage of full size photo and video.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. According to Apple site 256 gb iPhone 7 plus is 969

I feel like the pixel is getting some unfair hate due to the price. Many people think it's too expensive, so they want to find reasons to justify it.

While you compare with iPhone 7 it really only the water resistant that the iPhone has over the pixel. But ppl don't talk about the higher resolution, or the fact that pixel's screen is 0.3 inch larger than the regular iPhone. Or how much you would have to pay for unlimited storage of full size photo and video.

There are so many strengths unique to each that a strong argument could be made for either, depending on individual priorities. And that's not just Pixel vs iPhone, it's any flagship vs any flagship. As to justifying the price... It's an easy thing to argue that none of these flagships offer enough value to justify the price. And they're right. But if people can afford and want them, they should go for it - the only person who has to justify the price of a product is the person who's buying it. I bought a Pixel XL, and couldn't care less what others think, just like they shouldn't care what I think about their phone selection.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
There are so many strengths unique to each that a strong argument could be made for either, depending on individual priorities. And that's not just Pixel vs iPhone, it's any flagship vs any flagship. As to justifying the price... It's an easy thing to argue that none of these flagships offer enough value to justify the price. And they're right. But if people can afford and want them, they should go for it - the only person who has to justify the price of a product is the person who's buying it. I bought a Pixel XL, and couldn't care less what others think, just like they shouldn't care what I think about their phone selection.

I completely agree with you. I'm not hating on the iPhone either. I just personally don't like the way ios is, but I think Apple is still better at harmonizing the hardware with the software(even though Google is catching up) I'm very excited cause I believe the pixel is forcing they all to compete harder with one another. We the consumer will benefit at the end, with better innovation and hopefully lower pricing also.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone does the cloud. I just put 17 gb of music, collected over many many years, on my 128 gb XL. Much of it is not easily available to stream, and there is no streaming service I like anyway. Many of the files are flac. I don't understand how anyone can get along for 2 years with 32 gb. So you know, to each their own.

Enter Tidal streaming for your FLAC files. I love the service despite its bad rap. The music streaming is unmatched if you purchase the Hi-Fi option at 19.99/Mo. And, it has nearly the same music library as play music

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Google play music allows you to upload your own music files to their cloud. if they find the match that is of equal or better quality it will use Google's file, if it doesn't find a match of equal or better quality or it doesn't find a match all it will use yours. It all gets uploaded into your own music profile. On top of that you can pay for their premium service to play basically any music in their Library and create playlist with that music is well, but uploading your own music to your own profile is free. It's a pretty great service, especially if you want to keep as much storage on your phone available for other things as possible.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Minor things really:

- I'd like it if the notification light lit up when charging. Would like it to be Red while charging then change to Green when it charged. So far I don't think there's a way to find out the phone is fully charged until you wake the device up.

- The pulses timing of the notification light is a bit long. Would like it shorter so I'm not staring at the phone waiting for the pulse.

- The screen is visible outdoors, bit it would be nice if it were a little brighter.

Other than those things, I haven't had any issues. Performance is off the charts, camera is excellent. Really happy with the device and this is coming from someone who had the Note 7 and HTC 10.
Download the app lite flow from the Google Play Store. This will solve pretty much all of your LED problems that you have listed above. You can set certain colors for certain apps, change the frequency of the blinking, and set colors and blinking frequency for when charging and fully charged while still on a charger.

Disclaimer, it's been awhile since I used Light Flow. These were all available options when I used it. Hopefully these are still available.

Amb312

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting used to this phone some. It's really cut down down on my online time because I don't like playing on it like my note 😂so I guess that is a bonus. I have used Swype on SwiftKey forever but it doesn't work well on here. I have had to go change a lot of words. I think I will have to go back to regular texting which will be hard.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I've been pretty critical of this phone from the second it was announced, but because it's me and this is what I do, I bought one anyways. I'm still not sold on the price/lack of water resistance/lack of wireless charging, but putting that stuff aside? Man this phone is good. I was coming from an iPhone 7 Plus and got the Pixel XL yesterday. It's every bit as fast as the iPhone, if not a little faster in some areas. The camera is easily on par with the recent Galaxy line/iPhone 7, if not better in some areas. Extremely impressed with this device. Those that were on the fence should give it a look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol