Missed call, text counter

J5ive05

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Anyone figure out how to get the phone, text message or Gmail icon to show a counter? For example say I have 3 unread texts how can I get a number to appear next to the messenger icon?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Anyone figure out how to get the phone, text message or Gmail icon to show a counter? For example say I have 3 unread texts how can I get a number to appear next to the messenger icon?

You have to use a launcher for that. Nova will work. But then you lose the native function of the pixel launcher like the app shortcuts.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
It is incredibly lame but this is something I don't think Google has ever done. I don't understand. It is especially frustrating coming from Windows Phone where app icons were about giving you information.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
This is good and bad I think. For me. I constantly check my phone and clear message and notification, the counter never gets too high or on too many apps. It's a mess on my wife's iPhone. IPhone has counter on every app, it really looks messy if you see her screen with every other app that is telling her she needs to check something.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
This is good and bad I think. For me. I constantly check my phone and clear message and notification, the counter never gets too high or on too many apps. It's a mess on my wife's iPhone. IPhone has counter on every app, it really looks messy if you see her screen with every other app that is telling her she needs to check something.

Interesting I'd have to see a screen like this to see if it is really "messy". I think Windows Phone had a perfect implementation of this.

If something about something as simple as counters looks wrong, then the implementation is bad and needs to be fixed or the app itself is using the counter incorrectly. For example, unread counters should only indicate unread since the last time you used an app as that is the only thing that needs attention. If there are previously unread messages showing after you open the app that does not warrant a counter. (I.E. Showing all unread emails on an account for the history of the account, this adds no value at a quick glance)

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Interesting I'd have to see a screen like this to see if it is really "messy". I think Windows Phone had a perfect implementation of this.

If something about something as simple as counters looks wrong, then the implementation is bad and needs to be fixed or the app itself is using the counter incorrectly. For example, unread counters should only indicate unread since the last time you used an app as that is the only thing that needs attention. If there are previously unread messages showing after you open the app that does not warrant a counter. (I.E. Showing all unread emails on an account for the history of the account, this adds no value at a quick glance)

Haha. This is on a good day.

Attachments

• 34023.jpg
    34023.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 39

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Haha. This is on a good day.

Honestly I don't see an issue with those badges, though I think they should be on the bottom right as the top right distracts from the actual app. But I'd say for a mess... Those app icons are messier than the badges and folder always look the worst, I have yet to use them on any phone regardless of the OS. Someone has to figure out a better way for that.

Edit: Also that is WAY more apps than I ever use but I suppose the iPhone doesn't use an app drawer.

arthurhkt

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, you need to download third party launcher like Nova launcher together with TeslaUnread to get the notification badge. However, I bet Google won't implement these feature, as they mainly focus on their notification center more than apps notification badge.

Or you can wait until CyanogenMod is available for the Pixel phone, which have a notification badge on the notification center such as these:-

scr1.png

In the meantime, you may take a look this post then:- http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-apps/199709-how-guide-global-badge-notifications.html

:)

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I don't see an issue with those badges, though I think they should be on the bottom right as the top right distracts from the actual app. But I'd say for a mess... Those app icons are messier than the badges and folder always look the worst, I have yet to use them on any phone regardless of the OS. Someone has to figure out a better way for that.

Edit: Also that is WAY more apps than I ever use but I suppose the iPhone doesn't use an app drawer.

Haha. Yeah. She had too many apps. And no app drawer is one of the reasons I don't like ios. This is on a good day, some days she literally has a counter on almost every app

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
If I had photography and games sending notifications that crap would be uninstalled.

I'm using Nova and Tesla unread to get these, you can make the home screen look pretty much any way you want with it.

I've spent a lot of time setting up my screens and having a launcher that supports configuration backup is important to me, I don't think pixel launcher does that either.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
If I had photography and games sending notifications that crap would be uninstalled.

I'm using Nova and Tesla unread to get these, you can make the home screen look pretty much any way you want with it.

I've spent a lot of time setting up my screens and having a launcher that supports configuration backup is important to me, I don't think pixel launcher does that either.

This is also my thinking, if I don't want or care about a specific notification, I turn it off. I do this with the few apps I have, especially games. Most games just have ads for notifications.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
This is also my thinking, if I don't want or care about a specific notification, I turn it off. I do this with the few apps I have, especially games. Most games just have ads for notifications.

That's the advantage of android over ios. We can customize it the way we like. I can choose which app gives me a counter on the home screen and which one won't. Can't do that with ios.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
You should be able to disable notifications through the System Settings on both Android and iOS. I'm pretty sure on my iPad Mini 2 I've disabled a bunch of notifications as I only use the device for media consumption and games.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
You should be able to disable notifications through the System Settings on both Android and iOS. I'm pretty sure on my iPad Mini 2 I've disabled a bunch of notifications as I only use the device for media consumption and games.

Yes you can stop notification in ios. But can you stop the counter?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Ah I assumed they were tied to one-another. I guess I do not know the answer to that.

It does look like it is another option the Notification Settings.

Disable the Red Notification Badge from App Icons in iOS | OSXDaily

Awesome, I didn't know that. I'll have to do that to my wife's phone tonight. Haha. I take back what I said earlier about not being able to customize iPhone notifications. Still like the Android notification system much better, but at least ios is becoming more customizable.

Tyresian

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Yeah iOS has been getting better and makes me continue to think if I should switch. We will see how I feel about the Pixel and if it keeps me or not. Honestly the other big draw to iPhone is the Apple Watch. I have the MS Band 2 and love it but they are not creating a new band and the android wearables really aren't up to snuff. One of my coworkers swears by garmin but the devices seem bulky and the screens and functionality seem less than stellar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo