What a letdown (Stock Quantities)

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: What a letdown

You can walk into a Verizon store and purchase every phone but the 128GB XL around my city.

Of course, I wanted the 128 GB XL! Seems to me that is what enthusiasts would want on launch day, and that is the only one no stores in the entire United States had on launch day. Not a huge deal, my ship date is 11/18.

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

Mine shipped a day early and I got it on launch day. The shipping process took about 12 hours based on the tracking info. Could not be more pleased with the service I got, but that's just my case.

Jde2466

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Of course, I wanted the 128 GB XL! Seems to me that is what enthusiasts would want on launch day, and that is the only one no stores in the entire United States had on launch day. Not a huge deal, my ship date is 11/18.
I ordered mine on 10/14 and have a 10/28 delivery date. I'm not sure I will have it that date though.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site

Before you start to crucify me, let me explain. I'm not dissapointed with pixel or pixel xl, but with Google for pulling the same crap they did with the 6p. I just retired from a very successful supermarket chain in the northeast after 47 years of management positions. Our success was due mostly on 3 things. 1-great customer service, 2-have your advertised items IN STOCK, and 3 great pricing. So you see where this is going? Googles new pixel was going to be successful. We knew that. Forget great pricing, we knew that too but were still willing to spend our money on it. They should have had tons of them available AT LAUNCH. Under no circumstances, should I place an order and be given a ship date over a month away. Retailers (verizon, best buy etc.), should also not already be OOS. Hell, im probably not going to wait a month. I'll wait for the S8. Like our philosophy at store level, never allow your customers to go to the competition, THEY MIGHT STAY THERE. Nice going Google.

There's a big difference between running a grocery store and selling electronics: Food is a need. Electronics are not a "need." Electronics are a "want."

Being that this was Google's first launch of the Pixel, and not expecting the Note 7 fiasco to occur, they didn't know how much in demand there new phone would actually be. They likely had an estimation, but as far as exact figures go, probably no clue.

Do you think having a product sit on your shelves, collecting dust, is a good thing? Maybe for some groceries, but for expensive electronics, not so much. Companies would much rather have something be sold, out of stock, and be in demand, rather than over-producing a product and having it sit on a shelf for a week or two.

The fact that they have sold out of their product bodes really well for Google.

Uttam Chakma

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site

I think Google can't be faulted... The demand has far exceeded the supply... being the first generation of pixel phones google might have been unsure as to what would have been an adequate stock... plus the note 7 debacle right in the midst of it all... there are so many factors to be considered

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

So I (not so rhetorically) ask, would everyone have been happier if they waited another 6 weeks to release this when they were better stocked up first?

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

Google also mentioned that they are only supporting this for 2 years, that's a joke imo due to the cost of this thing. Even iphones are still running the latest software on the 4.

Tiko7523

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

Shipping date of a month from the order date is a bit too long. But this is probably part of the growing pains for Pixel. Don't expect it to reoccur from next year.

to be honest i don't expect people to care much about the Pixel 2 with the iPhone 10 year anniversary phone and the new Samsung line whatever they are going to call the Note series.

I don't even get why it seems hard to get this phone in stock tho tbh...it doesn't have anything special external wise.....

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Nobody at Google anticipated the demand. Not even close.

They made sure to have enough supply so that last year's results wouldn't happen again, and it wasn't enough. Remember, they only ever expected to sell 4 million Pixel/Pixel XL phones in 2016.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Nobody at Google anticipated the demand. Not even close.

They made sure to have enough supply so that last year's results wouldn't happen again, and it wasn't enough. Remember, they only ever expected to sell 4 million Pixel/Pixel XL phones in 2016.
And even more specifically they really underestimated the demand for the XL and 128GB versions.

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand why all the lemming/guinea pigs need to buy a particular phone the minute it is available. I never purchase technology that way. Let everyone else deal with the teething problems with shipping, software, hardware, etc. Wait until you have a chance to read test reports and examine one yourself. There are no advancements here that make the Pixel something that you can't wait for.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
What area are you in? The 3 stores in my area don't have the XL in 128 and said that no Verizon would until supply is replenished.

Houston, 5 out of the 6 stores near me had stock this morning according to their website. Looks like they are sold out now. Almost went this morning but don't trust verizon for updates regardless of what they say now. Guess back to waiting for google order.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm cool with being crucified, the pixel was a major disappointment to me and I canceled a preorder that would have gotten me a black xl 128gb by now :)

Buuut, on topic I think that google had a deal with Verizon where most of the stock was only available through big red. The store sold out in an hour but most people probably ordered through Verizon and they still never seemed to run out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay