Since it is only Verizon, it is useless to me

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Apparently since the Pixel phones only work on Verizon, it is useless to me since I have AT&T. Thanks Google.

Verizon is just the only carrier to sell the phone in their stores and online. You can buy it at the Google Store and other retail outlets (Best Buy is one). The Pixel is fully compatible with all carriers.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I thought Pixel from Best Buy are unlocked, but you have to activate with Verizon. Only Google store let you activate in any carriers.

Yeah OP, Verizon would like to make people to think they are the "exclusive" carrier which is half true. I read on here that AT&T is supposed to get it soon too, probably until Verizon exclusivity runs out.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy only shows the Verizon version, no others, unless they have updated their website in the last hour or so.

Verizon is just the only carrier to sell the phone in their stores and online. You can buy it at the Google Store and other retail outlets (Best Buy is one). The Pixel is fully compatible with all carriers.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Best Buy only shows the Verizon version, no others, unless they have updated their website in the last hour or so.

They will only sell you if you have Verizon account I think, but the phone is still unlocked. so you can technically use it on any carrier if you can convince them to sell you one. haha.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, again, I am on AT&T, so if I activate on Verizon, will that cause issues for me with the Deathstar (AT&T)? I prefer to buy locally so I can touch the device and look at it first, rather than rely upon a photo.

I thought Pixel from Best Buy are unlocked, but you have to activate with Verizon. Only Google store let you activate in any carriers.

Yeah OP, Verizon would like to make people to think they are the "exclusive" carrier which is half true. I read on here that AT&T is supposed to get it soon too, probably until Verizon exclusivity runs out.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

You are correct, but you can order straight from Google and activate them on any network. I don't love carrier exclusives either so I understand your frustration.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, again, I am on AT&T, so if I activate on Verizon, will that cause issues for me with the Deathstar (AT&T)? I prefer to buy locally so I can touch the device and look at it first, rather than rely upon a photo.
Go look at it at Best Buy or Verizon. Ordered from Google, and if you don't like it, return it. Google gives you 14 days, and they will pay for the shipping label to send back. There your problem is solved. haha.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
That is why I got my HTC 10 from HTC, NO BLOATWARE! Plus, I really, really like to buy locally. And I can pay cash, rather than use the card, which prevents the wife from having a meltdown over the $700 credit card charge. Plus is AT&T going to cause issues if I MUST activate on Verizon?

You are correct, but you can order straight from Google and activate them on any network. I don't love carrier exclusives either so I understand your frustration.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google probably needs to work on this some. This is a very, very common misconception right now.

THIS..... is 100% true.

Verizon, well, they are Verizon... they are going to go out of their way to make it appear that you can only use the phone on their network. Because Verizon.

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

Go to Best Buy and play with it, then order it online from Google.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Google probably needs to work on this some. This is a very, very common misconception right now.

Especially since Verizon's own ads imply that the phone is only available / only works on Verizon.

I am surprised that Google is letting them get away with that...

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Especially since Verizon's own ads imply that the phone is only available / only works on Verizon.

I am surprised that Google is letting them get away with that...

I am sure there is some push and pull on that very fact. Google has never had a carrier go at promoting one of their phones this hard. In a way that is a big win for them. Verizon's willingness to put on a full court press is likely due to the fact the droid selling cycle is over, and it gives them something to differentiate from the others. Take away their ability to brag like this, and a certain amount of the promotion goes with it.

This also leads me to believe that the other carriers were not as bullish on the Pixel, so the overall promotional impact with just Verizon >> all carriers put together. Google picked their poison. I hope they chose wisely, because it is good for the ecosystem if they have more success with Pixel than they have with Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie