To all of those still on the wait list!

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Just an update, I finally got an email from Google saying I could place my order. So I have done so. Delivery Thanksgiving. I haven't received any email saying I will get a code for the Daydream, so yeah I guess that ship has sailed. Again if anyone else on the waitlist, who was finally able to order after Oct 17th, and somehow was able to get a Daydfream code, let me know how you did it.

Tf407

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I just called Google, and even though I went on the waitlist Oct 6th at the latest I was told that when they finally allow me to give them money, I will not qualify for the Daydream because I didn't actually order a phone before Oct 17th. I tried to order the damn phone before the 17th, you wouldn't let me. Why am I being penalized for your poor planning Google?
Wow that does stink.

It makes sense to me that they started the wait list though. It seems the exceeded orders and didn't have enough day dreams so when they ran out of daydreams they had to delay people from pre ordering?

Just a thought

tpero

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
While I get your frustration with not being able to order the phone you wanted, like most giveaways/incentives, Google clearly stated that the daydream giveaway was a "while supplies last" type of promotion. So even preordering wasn't a guarantee. It's kind of like bobblehead day at the ballpark - first 5,000 fans get one because they're trying to get people to the ballpark early so they spend more money on concessions, but they're not going to give away more bobbleheads than necessary to generate that traffic. Google offered the daydream view as an incentive to sell phones early and quickly. Clearly it worked since the phone you wanted sold out.

ETA:
Here is the text from the email I received after my order was placed. There's no end date to the promotion, just a start date, and a "while supplies last" period of eligibility. I ordered on the 5th.

*Offer applies to redemption of one Daydream View device with the pre-order of a Pixel device on the Google Store in the U.S. starting from 10/4/2016 and available while supplies last. After a qualifying purchase of a Pixel device, a promo code will be emailed within approximately 4 weeks from the Pixel device shipment date. The promo code must be used on the Google Store before 12/31/2016 and will expire after this date.

Last edited:

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
While I get your frustration with not being able to order the phone you wanted, like most giveaways/incentives, Google clearly stated that the daydream giveaway was a "while supplies last" type of promotion. So even preordering wasn't a guarantee. It's kind of like bobblehead day at the ballpark - first 5,000 fans get one because they're trying to get people to the ballpark early so they spend more money on concessions, but they're not going to give away more bobbleheads than necessary to generate that traffic. Google offered the daydream view as an incentive to sell phones early and quickly. Clearly it worked since the phone you wanted sold out.

ETA:
Here is the text from the email I received after my order was placed. There's no end date to the promotion, just a start date, and a "while supplies last" period of eligibility. I ordered on the 5th.

*Offer applies to redemption of one Daydream View device with the pre-order of a Pixel device on the Google Store in the U.S. starting from 10/4/2016 and available while supplies last. After a qualifying purchase of a Pixel device, a promo code will be emailed within approximately 4 weeks from the Pixel device shipment date. The promo code must be used on the Google Store before 12/31/2016 and will expire after this date.

But see the problem I have with that is that if I had chosen to purchase a different model of Pixel, I would have received the DayDream. They weren't out of Daydreams at the time, they were out of Pixel XLs 128GB. If I had at least been allowed to place my pre order I would have received one. I was not allowed to do so. If I had placed my pre order I am sure my shipping date would have been a bit later, which I wouldn't have minded, I tried to order on the 6th, not the 4th or 5th. But the fact that I was put on a waitlist instead of being allowed to order was pretty crappy.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
But see the problem I have with that is that if I had chosen to purchase a different model of Pixel, I would have received the DayDream. They weren't out of Daydreams at the time, they were out of Pixel XLs 128GB. If I had at least been allowed to place my pre order I would have received one. I was not allowed to do so. If I had placed my pre order I am sure my shipping date would have been a bit later, which I wouldn't have minded, I tried to order on the 6th, not the 4th or 5th. But the fact that I was put on a waitlist instead of being allowed to order was pretty crappy.

Ahhh I understand what you are trying to say now... I definitely agree with you 100% that when Google opened the preorders on the 4th the option to order should have stayed open... I was thinking this same thing when I was trying to order through the Store. It makes absolutely no sense to me why they only allowed so many preorders then went to the wait list.... why the hell not let people order and then give them an estimated ship date... if they don't order soon enough to make the first shipment them give them a ship date of the 2nd shipment, and if they don't order soon enough for the 2nd shipment they get a ship date for the 3rd shipment... and so on.

I can't think of one valid excuse why this wouldn't have worked... it actually probably would have helped Google get a better idea of demand if they would have kept orders open. And people wouldn't have got screwed because only 32GB versions were available and they wanted 128GB but missed the promotion deadline because of this.

Last edited:

Pigman

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. As a developer, there is no programmatic reason to do it the way they did. Like you said just bump my ship date. I would have been fine with that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad