Verizon Pixel XL - Where's the Bloatware!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is there any blaotware at all on the US version?

Here in Australia, the phones don't have any carrier pre-installed apps and no carrier boot screen, which is unprecedented for an Android phone. Somehow Google managed to negotiate that into the agreement, and I'm extremely happy they did.

There's no carrier splash screen here, there are 3 apps that install if you boot using a Verizon SIM. All three are removable, pretty easy.

ainfinity

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
No messenger or Verizon apps were installed on my Pixel XL 128 GB phone. I do need to put My Verizon on for easy bill management.

badbradd2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My local authorized VZ retailer has several 128 GB XLs in stock. I'm so close to giving in but I'm on T-Mobile and I don't know if the Verizon version has all the same radios as the Google version.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
This pisses me off to no end... there's no reason why you should be able to walk into a store and buy a 128GB pixel xl right now when mine (and many others) has been on pre-order since 10/12 and now my ship date is pushed out to 11/18... Really!!!! Absolute BS!!!!

Hmmm... ordered 10/17 through Verizon Store and have a ship date of 10/28... supposedly at least - that's what the email says. I'll probably get a modified ship date, too, if this is the case.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
AGREE - 100%.
I have been with V for years - I am happy with V - others seem to be unhappy with V - walked into store this AM - walked out with a Blue 32 GB Pixel - uninstalled 3 apps - checked build version - seems to be the latest - let me tell you...this Pixel is one fast axx sum of a gun - :cool:
Enjoying the unlimited data on Verizon that's for sure :p.

pixiedroid

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Makes me wonder how Google negotiated the no bloatwares? You'll only get the Verizon apps from the simcard. But if you set up your phone first before inserting the SIM, those won't even appear.

I think OEMs, especially premium ones need to be more active on telling carriers not to add bloatwares esp the ones you cannot delete. I hope this becomes the standard in the near future. No carrier bloatwares. OEM bloatwares are already annoying to deal with

garak0410

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It is funny you mention that. We are on Verizon at work and I purchased a few Pixel's for people here when they first came out and there were maybe 2 Verizon apps that I easily removed. I received another Pixel XL 128 last week with ZERO Verizon apps...interesting...

steelrain82

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased a pixel from verizon as well. It's being used on AT&T. The verizon sim card was installed because the worker insisted they had to activate it. And no verizon apps whatsoever. That was quite nice.

Paulmac0957

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I ordered my 128gb Pixel XL back at the end of November, received it a few weeks later from Verizon. No bloatware came pre-installed. I have read the statements from people that once the phone is activated the Verizon software will auto download, that didn't happen to me. And I don't think it does happen, think those are just rumors. Very pleased with the fact that the phone has none of that stuff.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
I ordered my 128gb Pixel XL back at the end of November, received it a few weeks later from Verizon. No bloatware came pre-installed. I have read the statements from people that once the phone is activated the Verizon software will auto download, that didn't happen to me. And I don't think it does happen, think those are just rumors. Very pleased with the fact that the phone has none of that stuff.

Both the Pixels I got from the Verizon store had the 3 Verizon apps on them - which were easily deleted.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Both the Pixels I got from the Verizon store had the 3 Verizon apps on them - which were easily deleted.

Same with me. I ordered from Verizon and had my XL shipped to me. After I activated it I received the 3 apps, and I could delete them if I chose to.

pixiedroid

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
You only get the bloatware if you activate WITH yur Verizon sim. if you activate before putting in your seem, no Verizon bloatware