Pixel Halo effect?

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I disagree, I rarely take hdr photos except in extreme lighting conditions. You shouldn't have to rely on HDR+ to get good photos.

The camera does rely on HDR+ though, that's like the whole point of it.

Exactly

HDR+ Auto on the pixel isn't really just "HDR"

Samsung's phones do a MAJOR amount of processing in the stock app, you can't turn it off (HDR On or Off). Digital photography is more about the algorithms than it is the sensor itself. So turning off HDR+ on the pixel is technically putting the samsung at an unfair advantage as its still doing the heavy processing that was turned off on the pixel.

However, there is something to be said for the Pixel camera staying toe to toe with minimal processing compared to the Samsung in these tests.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, I rarely take hdr photos except in extreme lighting conditions. You shouldn't have to rely on HDR+ to get good photos.

HDR has gotten such a bad name because of what folks did with tone/color mapping. For me HDR is always preferable, if done right -- it actually closely mimics how the human eye works (see below). Camera sensors cannot replicate the EV of the human eyes on a single shot, so they need to combine a couple images to get the full range that you would see if you were standing there. If not over processed, these images will look **more** natural than a non-HDR shot, but we are not always use to seeing photos done this way. The issue is with all the tone detail you get with bracketed shots, you can really accentuate other details in the photo, including sharpness, clarity, tone and color. When processing gets aggressive, the photo loses it realistic look -- but takes on a different artistic look that folks like or hate. Unfortunately, it is this look that is associated with HDR.

Google also uses the technology to gain additional samples of the scene to reduce overall noise in low light (and narrow EV frequently). Since our eyes are sampling and combining 'pictures' at a ridiculous rate, why do we get so upset when a camera does it?

3. SENSITIVITY & DYNAMIC RANGE

Dynamic range* is one area where the eye is often seen as having a huge advantage. If we were to consider situations where our pupil opens and closes for different brightness regions, then yes, our eyes far surpass the capabilities of a single camera image (and can have a range exceeding 24 f-stops). However, in such situations our eye is dynamically adjusting like a video camera, so this arguably isn't a fair comparison.

new_dynamic-range_ex1a.jpgnew_dynamic-range_ex1b.jpgnew_dynamic-range_ex2b.jpg
Eye Focuses_________Eye Focuses________Our Mental
on Background________on Foreground_______Image

If we were to instead consider our eye's instantaneous dynamic range (where our pupil opening is unchanged), then cameras fare much better. This would be similar to looking at one region within a scene, letting our eyes adjust, and not looking anywhere else. In that case, most estimate that our eyes can see anywhere from 10-14 f-stops of dynamic range, which definitely surpasses most compact cameras (5-7 stops), but is surprisingly similar to that of digital SLR cameras (8-11 stops).

On the other hand, our eye's dynamic range also depends on brightness and subject contrast, so the above only applies to typical daylight conditions. With low-light star viewing our eyes can approach an even higher instantaneous dynamic range, for example.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You don't notice HDR on the Pixel.. As in no lag time or anything. Just snap and go as much as you want.

Have you tried one yet?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm definitely hopeful that the update will at least limit this to some degree. In some pictures I think it actually looks kind of cool. But I don't want it ruining a lot of shots.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site

In a phone camera, you point and shoot, and you should get good photos. Regardless of what the phone does in the background or post processing. Period. I don't care if it focuses via dual pixels, laser, infrared, if it does HDR, or non-HDR, or what it sets the ISO to. I care about quicly taking a photo, and that photo turning out well, thereby letting me spend my energies on composing the photo rather than **** around with settings in an app.

An analogy is buying a sports car and hitting the gas. I don't care as much what its traction control systems and launch control systems do in the background, I care about going fast.

The Pixel camera is fantastic. I did very close comparisons against my Note 7 camera as well as an S7 Edge, and the Pixel camera hands down beats both of them for detail and color reproduction. And the Samsung cameras are the next best thing out there.

In summary - I don't think most smartphone users, even those that take an interest in smartphone photography - care about academic comparisons of what is turned on or turned off in the app. They look at the end result, and they look at what percentage of photos they shoot turn out great. By those two counts, the Pixel camera is fantastic. Hence, my disappointment with Bagnell's review - seemed like an academic and less relevant review.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
As I've said before I don't have this phone but I've got one thing to say to people, if your happy with the photos it takes, then stop worrying about something that probably won't show up in 99% of the photos you take. If it's something you can't live with then get something else.
I'm more than happy with my S7e for those must have shots for when I don't have another camera handy and for everything else i use a DSLR.

shady195

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I think there is some confusion between the halo that IS the problem vs Flare which people are starting to think is bad.

The halo, IMO is caused by a refraction of light in the camera assembly. You can see things like this happen with ND Filters on DSLR cameras in the right conditions. Its quite possible it was never picked up during QC tests because in MOST cases you kind of need the perfect condition for it to happen, though once you notice it, its fairly easy to recreate it over and over again..

Flare is not a problem, flare is a very common thing among photography and optics in general.

anon(9410778)

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
So i'm not suggesting this as a fix. But does anyone with a skin on their phone have the issue? Mainly people with a skin that has separate holes for the lens and the flash. I'm wondering if that would help at all.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
So i'm not suggesting this as a fix. But does anyone with a skin on their phone have the issue? Mainly people with a skin that has separate holes for the lens and the flash. I'm wondering if that would help at all.
It doesn't. You'd need a lens hood much larger to block stay light than what a case can do.

I did some testing with the Spigen case that had a small cutout for the lens and didn't make a difference vs no case at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo