Pixel Halo effect?

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with a halo effect when shooting in sunlight?
37cf770ed5ea8c5c3e1efa888f0e7f47.jpg
there is a slight halo but others are reporting worse

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That picture doesn't look bad to me, that said, halos are common in HDR. You may try turning it off for a shot like that and see how it does.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I found there's kinda same issue from Danny Widget's Twitter: https://twitter.com/superscientific/status/789968924297297920.

Looking back at the original photo, now I see what you are talking about. Is wonder if that is more lens flare than HDR. When I think of HDR halo, it is a line around buildings where the meet the sky, and you see a bit of it around the house in that background. I would call the 'halo' I see in the OP pic lens flare. The same in Danny's pic, though I wonder if it is worse because of processing artifact due to HDR?

These links show good examples of both
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare
http://www.trentsizemore.com/2013/02/23/the-halo-effect-bad-hdr/

Based on what I see, the camera lens may be susceptible to lens flare, and shooting directly in to light (which I don't favor anyway) will require pics from a few angles to get a clean shot.

Any pro photographers out there to comment? I only know enough to be dangerous.

Last edited:

dobo84

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Flare is there but the Halo is not, something has to be reflecting on the pixels lens. It's not a deal breaker but it's there

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
That's called lens flare, and even happens on $3000 camera lenses. When you point the lens directly into the sun like that, it's possible for the intense light to reflect inside the lens elements and you get the flare. The flare can appear in a variety of different ways depending on the lens construction. There is no lens on the planet that can eliminate this entirely. Try keeping the bright sun out of the frame and you should see it go away. Also, the difference between brightness of the *sun*(!) and that dark house is far, far, far, beyond what any HDR mode can deal with. Don't worry, your camera is working just fine.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well you cannot argue, the lens is susceptible to flare. I pointed my at a light and get the flare as well. I fired up my N7 (bad choice of words, sorry), and saw some flare, but not nearly as bad as the Pixel. I am going to need to step up my use of the camera on the Pixel to make sure it is not going to be a problem for me.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Possible they may silently fix the issue in later units. I'll see what a different case does.
You can't just fix lens flare without changing the entire assembly.

In very layman's terms, lens flare happens when stray light, i.e. light outside the lens field of view, makes its way to the sensor. In photography, you use lens hoods to block the stray light and thus eliminate the flare.

If it's any consolation, lens flare is really only a problem when shooting into bright sources of light.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad