Pixel XL Auxiliary Audio Issues

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
When I plug either my Pixel XL or my wife's Pixel into my car's audio jack with an aux cable there is weird static. It's not constant and music is mostly still clear. My Nexus 6P did not have this issue and a friend's iPhone didn't have this issue tonight when we tried it. I have not tried headphones or a different cable yet but I was wondering if anyone else was having this issue.

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Definitely send that back asap. You don't want to keep waiting and then end up forgetting and being stuck with a faulty audio jack. Is the sound coming if you use bluetooth? I'm wondering if its related to the port or to the audio driver.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It's ignition noise - you most likely need one of these inserted between your audio cable and the audio-in jack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5517077

It is NOT the phone and it IS a common problem.

PS: You MIGHT find that a better, fully, shielded audio cable will resolve the issue ( https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5517077 ) but personally I would just spend the extra money for the ground loop noise isolator and be done with it.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
just spend the extra money for the ground loop noise isolator and be done with it.

Ground loop isolators are cheap audio transformers that will obliterate clean audio signal.

A ground loop would only be the cause if OP is charging as well. If that's the case, getting an isolated 5V power supply to charge the phone from will solve the ground loop problem without compromising sound quality.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
No I am not charging it. It is also my wife's regular Pixel that has the same problem. She said in her car it does not have the issue. I hope I don't need a new head unit. My 6P never had this issue though.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I did try a different cable but neither of the cables are that great of quality. My friend has a beats audio cable that I'll try though.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I tried the Beats audio cable and it still had the issue. I noticed my cable only had two rings on the connector but the Beats audio cable had three. I was thinking that could make a difference but it did not. When I plugged my phone into my friend's car with the Beats cable it did not have static.

michael33r

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
I listen to music every time I'm in my 4Runner so this is going to be very annoying if I can't get it figured out. I just tried to chat with Google's "24/7" support and chat is grayed out!!! What the crap?!

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Do you hear additional noise being induced when you activate high power accessories such as power door locks or windows?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Try a pair of headphones. If the problem is still there it's the phone.
2. Try another cable. If it stops it was the cable. If you have access to a stand-alone 3.5 mm powered speaker, try it.

3. If it works with everything else, it's your stereo. Not all things will "see" an electrical noise problem, and when they do it won't be all the time. I have a S7 Active here that will make horrible noise through my Jeep's aux jack if I set it in the cup holder and start moving. It;s fine the rest of the time, and no other phone si bothered by it. It;s just a bit of weird electromagnetism that the S7 active picks up in a way to turn it into a whine.

Cant Miss

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
He tried headphones and they were fine.

Three cables, no change.

And your S7 Active should have had better shielding than that. That's on Sammy.

This one is a ground problem, but hard to know who's potentially at fault. (c;

OP... you got a multimeter?

Last edited: