Is there a reason to get a 128 GB? How does photo storage work?

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
I read that the Pixel backs up your photos and videos to google photos but doesn't that draw data every time you look at a video or picture?

Say you shoot a ton of 4k videos and your phone is full? Can you not take more pictures/videos till you get home and upload them to google photos on wifi?

What would be the purpose of a 128gb if all photos and videos are on google?

Anyone care to explain this?

Thanks!

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have the 128gb version. I got it because I have a ton of music and I would rather not use my data to stream it from the cloud. My Turbo had 32gb, and I got tired of worrying about running out of space, so I no longer have to worry about it now.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the 128gb version. I got it because I have a ton of music and I would rather not use my data to stream it from the cloud. My Turbo had 32gb, and I got tired of worrying about running out of space, so I no longer have to worry about it now.

In retrospect, for me the 128 I bought may be overkill. I listen to a lot of books, and on my Note 4 I was bumping up against storage limits b/c of a huge library of photos and having several book downloaded. That colored my expectation and I did not feel like dealing with it. I also pin a couple music playlists to my phone, but not my entire library (it is in Google Music)

After my initial use, I think 32 for the Pixel will be adequate for the next couple of years, though 64 is probably the better number. This is largely due to the fact that you can offload your photos at full res, but still have access -- creating more room for an extra book or two and enough music to be functional for me.

That said, I don't regret having 128. Space will be something I won't have to worry about at all on the phone, and I will have my photo library on the phone for faster access. I'd probably make the same decision again today.

tl;dr: If you need to save $100 you will be fine with 32. If spending the extra $100 is not going to crimp your lifestyle, get the 128. You will always find ways to use extra storage.

Stoopstroop

Oct 22, 2016
Visit site
Its not the $ its the availability. I can find a 32 but no 128's.

Does anyone know if accessing your google photos draw data? I would think a 4k video would draw alot of data to watch.

Thanks for the reply

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Does anyone know if accessing your google photos draw data? I would think a 4k video would draw alot of data to watch.

Thanks for the reply

Ahhh, I forgot about availability. Will a Verizon store that has stock ship you one???

As for your other question, yes, it will draw data. If you are going to shoot a lot of 4k, I would definitely wait on a 128. Sorry.
:'(

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Google Photos can be set to only sync on wi-fi, thereby side-stepping any involvement with your data plan.

If you are routinely shooting tons of 4k videos not near a wi-fi connection, you can't wait until you are near a wi-fi connection, and/or you don't want to use an OTG drive, then you should look at 128GB for sure.

It's totally dependent on YOUR use case.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Google Photos can be set to only sync on wi-fi, thereby side-stepping any involvement with your data plan.

If you are routinely shooting tons of 4k videos not near a wi-fi connection, you can't wait until you are near a wi-fi connection, and/or you don't want to use an OTG drive, then you should look at 128GB for sure.

It's totally dependent on YOUR use case.
All true for up load where I find data easier to manage. Where it matters for 32 vs 128 though is when you try to access a pic or video that is in the cloud. You will need data access for that, which may require data if wifi is not available. This is more the issue when it come to space on the phone because it is less controllable.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the reply

Yes, it will use data to access the photo and videos on photos once uploaded, unless you are on wifi. also you can set photo to upload only when on wifi.

wessock

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
So do you only get unlimited storage for pics/videos uploaded from a pixel, or does it apply to any source or file type as long as you own a pixel?

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Is the unlimited photo/video storage limited to 1 Google account, or would it be there for multiple accounts on the same phone?

I have 2 Google accounts on my phone, both synced to Drive and Google Photos, but each account is syncing to specified folders/documents/galleries. Will I get unlimited storage for both accounts, or just the "primary" account that I use during the initial set up?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I read that the Pixel backs up your photos and videos to google photos but doesn't that draw data every time you look at a video or picture?

Say you shoot a ton of 4k videos and your phone is full? Can you not take more pictures/videos till you get home and upload them to google photos on wifi?

What would be the purpose of a 128gb if all photos and videos are on google?

Anyone care to explain this?

Thanks!

Since I carry 2 phones, I bought the 32gb pixel. I use my S7 edge for handling most of my movies. SD card expansion you know. Guess Google forgot about that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital