Smart Lock / Trusted Places doesn't seem to work

RickInHouston

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if I have this wrong, or what? I added my work and my home to the Smart Lock trusted places. They are now both listed. When I pick up my phone and press the power button, shouldn't it go straight to the home screen? It's taking me to the lock screen.?.

Is anyone else having this problem?

BTW - camera AMAZING. Speed FAST. Size (Pixel) CUTE. I really love this phone. My 6P wasn't this fast. Not nearly.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
No, when you press the power button it should always take you to the lock screen unless you have no kind of security on it. From there you just swipe up. It doesn't always work consistently, I know it didn't on my 6P.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No, when you press the power button it should always take you to the lock screen unless you have no kind of security on it. From there you just swipe up. It doesn't always work consistently, I know it didn't on my 6P.

Yup. I think it's just a matter of clarifying what the OP is asking. If it takes him to the lock screen and he can just swipe up to unlock, then yes it is working as expected.

For the OP... Smart lock allows you to have your phone override whatever lock screen security you enable when certain conditions are met, such as connection to a Bluetooth device, being at a location, etc. You still need to swipe up from the lock screen though.

So if you have your home address setup in the Smart Lock settings, you should be able to wake the screen then swipe to unlock with no other security while the Smart Lock conditions are met.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I will have to try places. Bluetooth never worked on my Notes after I put AirWatch on, but it is working beautifully with the Pixel.

The thing is, I honestly find it easier to wake with the fingerprint sensor. Maybe in meetings hitting the power button will be easier. Time will tell.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I will have to try places. Bluetooth never worked on my Notes after I put AirWatch on, but it is working beautifully with the Pixel.

The thing is, I honestly find it easier to wake with the fingerprint sensor. Maybe in meetings hitting the power button will be easier. Time will tell.

Yeah, I agree. For me the fingerprint unlock is easier in most situations as well.

In my car though, I have a car mount and having to reach around the back of the mount to get to the FPS is a pain while in the car, so I use the Smart Lock there.

tandybr

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I also have this problem, but with my Nexus 4. At first it worked, but then always asks for my pin. perhaps is way in the GPS mode is set

Er1nyes

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site

This is not the case! I get the PIN screen AND I have to input my PIN! It even says in the settings :

"Power button instantly locks except when kept unlocked by Smart Lock"

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You *do* still need to swipe up, even if trusted places is working. Frankly, I find fingerprint unlock much easier, though I agree that it may not be appropriate if your phone is, for example, in a car mount at the time...

As for Trusted Places not working, I have had that problem in the past. Usually deleting the trusted location and then re-adding it resolves the problem. And, don't do it by address (123 Any Street, MyTown, USA), instead do it by latitude/longitude - seems to be more reliable that way.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You *do* still need to swipe up, even if trusted places is working. Frankly, I find fingerprint unlock much easier, though I agree that it may not be appropriate if your phone is, for example, in a car mount at the time...

As for Trusted Places not working, I have had that problem in the past. Usually deleting the trusted location and then re-adding it resolves the problem. And, don't do it by address (123 Any Street, MyTown, USA), instead do it by latitude/longitude - seems to be more reliable that way.
An easier way is to open up google maps. The issue isn't it recognizing the location .. it's just it hasn't pinged your location yet to see you in the trusted area ;).

dblj840

Jan 6, 2017
Visit site
Mine is broken also. The work around is to open maps when you get to your trusted place. Unfortunately for me 5 min later its back to being locked.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
By the way, just in case this applies to a few of you having difficulties with SmartLock:

SmartLock (Trusted Places, anyway - not sure about the other modes) automatically disables itself after four hours of phone inactivity. So, for example, if you manage to sleep through the night without picking up your phone a few times (like I do), then when you awaken in the morning you will find that SmartLock "is not working again."

The very first time this occurs, you would have gotten a notification - "SmartLock disabled after four hours inactivity" or something like that. You only get the notification once; if you swiped it away and forgot about it you might not realize that it is the reason behind your "random" SmartLock issues.

Ken Smith7

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Why would it matter if the phone hasn't moved for hours. If it's in the "trusted place", why would it matter? If that is really how it works it's kinda silly if you ask me. I'm having the same deal with mine. Never seems to work. I have the right address from google maps, i have location on. i have wifi, the whole bit, but still have to use my fp to unlock when I'm in my own living room. Too bad, sounds like a nice feature.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Why would it matter if the phone hasn't moved for hours. If it's in the "trusted place", why would it matter? If that is really how it works it's kinda silly if you ask me. I'm having the same deal with mine. Never seems to work. I have the right address from google maps, i have location on. i have wifi, the whole bit, but still have to use my fp to unlock when I'm in my own living room. Too bad, sounds like a nice feature.
Why? Who knows?

But, that is how it works. And it says so here: https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/6093922?hl=en

Note: When you don't use your phone for 4 hours, and after you reboot your phone, you'll need to manually unlock it with your PIN, pattern or password.

Last edited:

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
My trusted places no longer work when the screen locks after the display goes off. It still works with the power button not locking the phone if I am in a trusted place. Any thoughts?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze