Did Google just completely forget about raise to wake?

Carraser23

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I never realized how much I miss always on display until I got a Pixel. I thought it would at least have a raise to wake function (like in past Nexus phones). It's really annoying that the only way to see the time and notifications on the phone is either by fingerprint or pressing the power button... hopefully they can fix this in a future update.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Hmmmm...if this is true...disappointing. Hopefully Google is watching, reading and taking notes. Notification is huge to almost everyone.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
There are several apps for aod that I checked into because it became a huge thing for me too, can you try a few and see how they work? Report back?

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I never realized how much I miss always on display until I got a Pixel. I thought it would at least have a raise to wake function (like in past Nexus phones). It's really annoying that the only way to see the time and notifications on the phone is either by fingerprint or pressing the power button... hopefully they can fix this in a future update.

This is my main complaint with this phone. I'll see how this goes this week in my meetings at work but I don't know if this is going to work for me. Looked at my notifications all the time by just pressing the home button while in meetings. Not liking not having the notification numbers on the apps either but can deal with that.

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Always on Display Amoled beta is one I am trying. It is a bit glitchy and I just went for having the time and date on the black off screen and that works well. Some of the other things don't work or work sometimes. But just having the clock there is a big deal to me. If you double tap in the center, it brings up the lock screen unfortunately, and you have to either use fingerprint or pin or whatever to get past that. But even so, I like the app's time display function a lot.

IncredibleJedi

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
I miss the "wave hand over phone" like on my Z Force - my biggest issue with the Pixel.

Had that with my last real phone, the first Droid Turbo. I would get asked about waving my hand from time to time by random folks. Some people thought I was doing a Jedi mind trick.

anon(9227267)

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
Had that with my last real phone, the first Droid Turbo. I would get asked about waving my hand from time to time by random folks. Some people thought I was doing a Jedi mind trick.

Had the 1st Turbo too - great phone. Got the Pixel to try something different - so far I like it - except for that "hand wave" thing - :D

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the original Turbo too and will definitely miss the hand wave to see the time and notifications. Will also miss wireless charging. Will NOT miss the crappy updates from Moto that leave my less that 2 year old flagship droid phone still on lollipop.

MoonShade

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the original Turbo too and will definitely miss the hand wave to see the time and notifications. Will also miss wireless charging. Will NOT miss the crappy updates from Moto that leave my less that 2 year old flagship droid phone still on lollipop.

Left Moto for this exact reason. Bought a X2 weeks after launch and months later they stopped updates for it. Damn thing rebooted every time I launched the camera. Moto is never an option for me now.

Posted via the Android Central App

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
My 6s has it and my HTC10 has double tap to wake. I agree it is a very nice convenience either one of those. Does seem like a faux paux on google leaving one or the other off but both?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Those use battery by always listening for an event from the accelerometer (movement based) or digitizer (tap based). They also would interfere with the new Doze.

Not saying it was the right decision, but that's why.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Wow I am just surprised no one pointed this out. That feature is actually there in "moves" section in Setting. It has been renamed from ambient display

https://9to5google.files.wordpress.com/2016/10/android-7-1-moves-e1476923573983.png?w=900&h=783

Amele

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
The feature in moves is not the same as AOD. The one I am using, the AOD amoled beta, is good for what I want but I do think it drains the battery a bit. But I decided to live with that.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood